Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TV discussion

(10-14-2019, 08:25 PM)NOLA Wrote:  
(10-14-2019, 07:48 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(10-14-2019, 11:32 AM)NOLA Wrote:  
(09-26-2019, 01:45 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  As for the actual movie... it looks... sad. 

I hope, somehow, Jesse can get some of Walt's money and have a decent life.  Poor guy.

El Camino was not as sad as I had feared.

I really enjoyed it.
 Yeah, it wasn't daring.  It didn't try to reimagine anything.  

It was an epilogue and a love letter to BB fans.

It's why I say filmmakers are too obsessed with 'subverting expectations'

Sometimes the best thing is to just give people what they want.

So you liked it?

I totally agree with your assessment, but it seems like a lot of people are saying that like it's a bad thing.  I was just happy to spend time with Jesse, and for someone to finally get a happy fucking ending (to the extent that he could).

Yeah, I liked it.  It quite literally gave me EXACTLY what I wanted.  

It didn't need to shock me.  Just give me some closure.

(10-14-2019, 11:38 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(10-14-2019, 08:25 PM)NOLA Wrote:  
(10-14-2019, 07:48 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(10-14-2019, 11:32 AM)NOLA Wrote:  
(09-26-2019, 01:45 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  As for the actual movie... it looks... sad. 

I hope, somehow, Jesse can get some of Walt's money and have a decent life.  Poor guy.

El Camino was not as sad as I had feared.

I really enjoyed it.
 Yeah, it wasn't daring.  It didn't try to reimagine anything.  

It was an epilogue and a love letter to BB fans.

It's why I say filmmakers are too obsessed with 'subverting expectations'

Sometimes the best thing is to just give people what they want.

So you liked it?

I totally agree with your assessment, but it seems like a lot of people are saying that like it's a bad thing.  I was just happy to spend time with Jesse, and for someone to finally get a happy fucking ending (to the extent that he could).

Yeah, I liked it.  It quite literally gave me EXACTLY what I wanted.  

It didn't need to shock me.  Just give me some closure.

There's an interview with Vince Gilligan up on Rolling Stone where he talks about making it, and how he actually had to be talked out of "subverting expectations" by his girlfriend and the Breaking Bad writers.

Quote:Speaking of that, I went through a lot of permutations on this script. It was the first time in a long time I wrote something by myself, though I got a lot of good notes from Peter Gould and the other writers after. During the process, I really was in the weeds, alone with barely a flashlight. And I had all these different versions. One of them was he goes to jail, and it’s partly his idea. He turns himself in. I pitched this to Peter and the writers, and they were aghast. My girlfriend Holly said, “You cannot do that.” I said, “No, don’t you see? The shape of it is pleasing from a storytelling point of view! The last thing he wants is to be in prison yet again, and I’m going to construct it so he does it to help someone else out.” And they convinced me I was completely wrong about that.

He also talks about it being a gift for the fans, and exactly what they want:

Quote:In a weird way, I was more at peace with it this time. That might have been a result of being physically exhausted back then. And realizing — this is probably not something I should be saying to you, but to say it again, this movie, strictly speaking, does not need to exist. I stand by the fact that Breaking Bad stands on its own. And I’m proud as hell of that. This started off as a bit of a trifle. Having said that, it morphed into this somewhat big-budget, event-type movie that I couldn’t be more proud of. Netflix was wonderful, Sony was wonderful in allowing us to make this thing. But ultimately, are you required to watch this as a fan of Breaking Bad to have a complete experience? No, you’re really not. But I’m hoping people will take it for what it is: something that’s meant to be a gift to the fans, and a gift to Aaron Paul, who I truly believe deserves many more movies where he’s the star. It was something done for the love of it, something that I hope people will enjoy and get some sort of deeper satisfaction from.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-featu...ew-895479/