Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2015 Kansas City Royals Thread

I'm going to start this a couple of days earlier since KC is without pro sports right now.

Key subtractions: James Shields, Billy Butler, and Nori Aoki.

Key additions: Alex Rios, Kendrys Morales , Edison Volquez, and Kris Medlen.

I like the moves overall. I think we overpaid financially, but we may be getting better in our batting lineup. Volquez will slot in probably 3rd or 4th before or after Duffy. Not great, but should eat innings at hopefully a sub 4.0era clip. I like Medlen a lot. Big thing for him will be fully recovering. He likely won't factor into kc plans until July as he is recovering from his 2nd Tommy John.

The only thing that may change with the roster is trading a bullpen piece for prospect and cap relief. I think roster is probably set, but re-signing Hochevar could give us flexibility flipping Holland if we wanted to move Davis back to closer and Herrera as set up man.

I'm looking forward to this next year. Baseball is exciting again in KC and I'm hoping the taste of victory leaves a lasting impression on David Glass. Currently payroll is estimated to be sitting at 110-115 million. Highest in franchise history, so Glass is currently doing his part. The division should be much harder next year as Chicago and Minnesota make strides. Hopefully we see a dip in Detroit and Cleveland.

Go Royals!

[Image: 9to83k.png]

This roster is slightly improved in my opinion, but that's assuming there's some growth from within.

We need Moose and Hosmer to play like they did in the playoffs. We need Ventura and Duffy to be our aces. I like our additions because like you suggested there's more potential for power.

I think we should keep together our bullpen. Hochevar returning could give us some flexibility around the trade deadline if we need it as does the emergence of Finnegan, but outside of the big 3 we don't really have the best bullpen, especially when guys like Crow aren't pitching to their potential.

I think we came out even. Shields wasn't very effective anymore, but he did bring experience to the locker room. Then agsin, with what that team went through last year, they all have experience now. I'm with AKB, if some of the players we have now, like Moose, Hos, Ventura, or Cain, improve even a little on last season, this could be a better team than that one. I agree, it all depends on from within. I hate losing what Shields and Butler brought as far as locker room presence, but it was an OK off season.

Another key pick up which hasn't been discussed much is the return of Hoechever, If he returns to form of two years ago, the Royals might have just shortened the game from a 7 inning game to a six inning game. Get your starter through 5 with the lead and then let HHDH take over.

asskickingboots, post: 173860, member: 71 Wrote:I think we should keep together our bullpen. Hochevar returning could give us some flexibility around the trade deadline if we need it as does the emergence of Finnegan, but outside of the big 3 we don't really have the best bullpen, especially when guys like Crow aren't pitching to their potential.

Crows gone. And by adding Luke and the emergence of Finnegan and maybe Manaea, this could be a better bullpen all around than last years. Also you have Frasor back, and they signed Medlen, which could turn out to be a great pick up, but he'll start in the pen. This could be a nasty, better bullpen. Watch out.

I think bullpen will be just as good if not better with Hochevar back. How many wins are the Royals at?

warthog, post: 173864, member: 14 Wrote:Crows gone. And by adding Luke and the emergence of Finnegan and maybe Manaea, this could be a better bullpen all around than last years. Also you have Frasor back, and they signed Medlen, which could turn out to be a great pick up, but he'll start in the pen. This could be a nasty, better bullpen. Watch out.
Didn't realize Crow was gone, but all of those reasons are exactly why I want to keep the big 3. We'll have more flexibility, be able to sit them more often as necessary to keep them fresh, and should have a much better idea of what we specifically need and can afford to let go at the trade deadline. I think as this team is built there shouldn't be much issue with staying in contention until then.

I really hope rios/morales works. They offer higher upside, but lower floors. Like we've said for 3 years now, we need to see moose and Hosmer take their next steps too.

I think the Rios signing is going to be a good one. It's a one year deal and he has a opportunity to have a break-out year to get himself a long term contract. He was very solid when he was playing for Chicago at the time, and if I recall correctly, he had some injuries that hurt him in 2014. If he can put up his 2013 line, which was .278/.324/.432 or better, that's a good signing.

Morales signing, I'm a little skeptical on, because of his numbers had taken a big drop since 2013. However, there is some evidence that he was a solid DH/1B (1B fill in on Hosmer's day offs) from 2009 to 2013. If he can produce anywhere in those numbers during those years, that'll be an upgrade over Butler's numbers. Big "if" though.

Read an interesting article comparing Edinson Volquez to James Shields. Statistically they are very similar and Volquez actually outperformed Shields in several key categories, including ERA. He didn't quite eat up as many innings as Shields, but still was around 200 innings. After reading that and considering the potential for growth by Ventura and Duffy in particular, this actually could be a better rotation than last year, even without Shields.

So... can the Royals make it back to the World Series this year? I mean, they had to sneak in through the Wild Card last fall, so help me out here. Where do I set my expectations? I'm in a weird position because this is the first time I've really thought about Royals season expectations since around 1989 or so. Maybe the early '90s I was still clinging to false hope at the latest.