Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chiefs #1 pick, round 1 pick 10, Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

(04-28-2017, 06:32 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  I'm not a fan of the decision. Would have gladly taken him at 27 (unrealistic, I know) and would have understoof a trade up but not 17 spots. We didn't draft a qb with a 1st round pick... we drafted a qb with two 1st round picks. And gave up a 3rd which the Texans didn't have to do 2 picks later.

To be honest, if KC goes 10-6 or better, that 1st round would be very late anyways (27 or worse). So it's kind of a wash.

If KC was a bad team, and little to no supporting cast anywhere, then that would make sense.

This is the right move, in my opinion, because KC has little glaring holes on the roster right now and they needed to address the future of the QB position because Alex isn't going to be around forever.

And Mahomes isn't walking into like a Cleveland situation to be set up to fail. He's walking into a team that went 12-4 and has little to no holes on the offense side. Offensive Line is a young line but seasoned. Receivers isn't bad, but could use some improvement. Have Kelce, so we're good there. RB may be questionable, but it's not by far terrible by any means.

And he's also walking into a good QB coaching staff in Reid. He had Favre (not solely responsible, but I think he did play a significant portion of Brett's development), McNabb, Jeff Garcia, Kevin Kolb, Michael Vick, and Alex Smith.

Case in point, take some time to watch the Tech vs LSU game in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiSgGNufmbo

You'll see what I'm talking about. Tech has no business hanging around 2.5 quarters against a very strong LSU team because Tech was vastly inferior against LSU.

(04-28-2017, 11:59 PM)Coach Wrote:  
(04-28-2017, 06:32 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  I'm not a fan of the decision. Would have gladly taken him at 27 (unrealistic, I know) and would have understoof a trade up but not 17 spots. We didn't draft a qb with a 1st round pick... we drafted a qb with two 1st round picks. And gave up a 3rd which the Texans didn't have to do 2 picks later.

To be honest, if KC goes 10-6 or better, that 1st round would be very late anyways (27 or worse). So it's kind of a wash.

If KC was a bad team, and little to no supporting cast anywhere, then that would make sense.

This is the right move, in my opinion, because KC has little glaring holes on the roster right now and they needed to address the future of the QB position because Alex isn't going to be around forever.

And Mahomes isn't walking into like a Cleveland situation to be set up to fail. He's walking into a team that went 11-5 and has little to no holes on the offense side. Offensive Line is a young line but seasoned. Receivers isn't bad, but could use some improvement. Have Kelce, so we're good there. RB may be questionable, but it's not by far terrible by any means.

And he's also walking into a good QB coaching staff in Reid. He had Favre (not solely responsible, but I think he did play a significant portion of Brett's development), McNabb, Jeff Garcia, Kevin Kolb, Michael Vick, and Alex Smith.

Perfect take.  I agree.  Except KC was 12-4 last year.  Big Grin

Good to see you while you're here coach.

Coach nails it for me. Great post. Giving out some rep. Rep is still a thing right?

[Image: chitown4.gif]
Check out my new fan page for daily updates

(04-29-2017, 11:11 AM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote:  Coach nails it for me. Great post. Giving out some rep. Rep is still a thing right?

Neg rep for not knowing.

(04-29-2017, 11:13 AM)DallasChief Wrote:  
(04-29-2017, 11:11 AM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote:  Coach nails it for me. Great post. Giving out some rep. Rep is still a thing right?

Neg rep for not knowing.

+2

(04-29-2017, 10:16 AM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(04-28-2017, 11:59 PM)Coach Wrote:  

And Mahomes isn't walking into like a Cleveland situation to be set up to fail. He's walking into a team that went 11-5 and has little to no holes on the offense side. Offensive Line is a young line but seasoned. Receivers isn't bad, but could use some improvement. Have Kelce, so we're good there. RB may be questionable, but it's not by far terrible by any means.

Perfect take.  I agree.  Except KC was 12-4 last year.  Big Grin

Good to see you while you're here coach.

You're right. I was thinking 11-5 for some odd reason. Edited to reflect correct record.

Okay, so I'm bored and up late and watching some stuff on the new QB, Mr. Mahomes.  I'm watching some highlights ATM, and I saw the damndest thing i've ever seen from a QB.  

At 3:34 the throw he makes has left me.. just... speechless.  I watched it over and over and over again.

I've been watching football 20 years.  I've never seen that before.  52 or so yards, across his body, while running left.  He just... flips it.  Who does that?  I mean arm strength is one thing, but that throw?  You've got to be kidding me.  

We drafted this guy?  For realzie?

Your right,  I must have watched that play 20 times.  Looks like Dorsey and Andy did it. 
 Win a playoff game......check
Win the division........check
draft a qb of the future in the first round..............check

While there will always be something for some to bitch about.  A couple major things have been removed from the list

[Image: HG.gif]

(04-28-2017, 11:51 PM)Coach Wrote:  
(04-28-2017, 01:48 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(04-28-2017, 01:30 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:  The kid's not Alex, and Alex is not the kid, but this is the sort of thing Alex would pull out of his ass for a score.  From this, if you haven't read it.  If he actually wrote it - and it's possible... I like this more and more.  https://www.theplayerstribune.com/patric...er-letter/

[Image: H8Da1TgtUb-2.gif]

Yeah, then you find the one were he's rolling and throws a 40 yarder on a rope from his back foot under pressure.

Not only is that something Alex can't do, there's only like 3 or 4 NFL QB's who can do that.  Rogers, Ben, and Matt Stafford are the only ones coming to mind.

First thing that jumps out when I watch the kid is that he's CONSTANTLY under pressure.  

That letter was a good read.  Thanks for sharing.

Big XII guy here, and I seen plenty of tape on Mahomes. Kid was starting halfway during his Freshman year in Texas Tech, and he was pretty impressive for a Freshman. He progressed nicely during his Sophomore and Junior years in Tech.

Now people will say he is a system QB. That is partially true, I will not deny that. However, if you watch the Chiefs offense closely, you'll notice that some plays that Andy has is very similar to what Tech does. For example, quick pass to the WR in the flat for a bubble screen. Or a pump fake to that same WR, and looking down field. Simply put, Reid has incorporated quick easy reads.

Also people assume "Air Raid" is like one read and throw a bomb right away. One thing has to be considered is, Tech never really had a good Offensive Line. This would explain why Mahomes never really had an consistent clean pocket and he would roll out/evade pressure. The key to watch is where his head, his eyes are at, and how accurate he is while under pressure. The majority of the time his head is actually down the field, not like "locked right at the defender". And all it was just the flick of his wrist that just makes it look like "Air Raid." I don't remember where I found it or read it, but Mahomes was rated very good on accuracy while under pressure, and with my eyes that I seen him play, it backs it up.

The fact that he carried Tech on his back with average to below average supporting cast around him, and a historically bad defense, that's pretty telling.

Arm strength? Ridiculous. 80+ if you were using baseball scout scoring metric on arm strength. But the best part is, he's not all cannon. He can take a little off of it as well.

Plus, these are the same guys who have drafted Rodgers and McNabb (Rodgers - Dorsey and McNabb - Reid), so I'd trust their evaluations on that aspect. Not to mention, Mahomes was in KC for six hours while Reid and probably Dorsey grilled the hell out of him.

Finally, it's very telling that, depending on what source you go by, that 3 other teams (Arizona, New Orleans, and Houston) wanted Mahomes, and there were some other 2 unidentified teams that were very interested in him (The Giants makes sense).

The downside is that he does need some work on his mechanics and footwork, but those are very correctable. Those two can be taught and corrected with the appropriate reps. You just can't teach talent that Mahomes possess.

This is pretty well word for word what I saw and think. I haven't watched as many college games as I used to, but when I'm channel surfing on a Saturday and I see some ridiculous score in the first quarter because Mahomes is having a race against his defense to see who gets the most points on the board, I tend to put down the remote. Very entertaining games. So, I already had a generally positive opinion of Mahomes going into this draft season.

But yeah, the fact he has touch, excellent under pressure, keeps his eyes down field while scrambling, looks like a fit for an Andy Reid offense, yet has ugly ass mechanics that might resurface from time to time but should be mostly correctable. That's all things I saw.