Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Plays We Hate!!

Alas! With the season over and new co-offensive coordinators coming in, or taking over , or whatever it is they do, I thought it would be fun to list those plays we all hate to see, especially those stupid plays called at the wrong time. 
Plays like a bubble screen, which everybody and their brother can see coming, on a third and 8. And the play goes for all of three yards. My dad has a great quote for plays like this. "why did we throw for 3 yards? Because we needed 9".  Pitiful. 
And my favorite "please don't run this play" of all time is the punt from anywhere in the other team's side of the field. Fourth down from the 37 and we punt!! We punt!! Losing in a playoff game on the road and we punt! From the 37!!  This is especially bad if you have moved the ball, let's say about 35 yards, and now face a fourth and 2. What?!? you have moved the ball 35 yards and you can't get 2 more?? Pitiful!! Bad signal to send to your offense that you have no faith. Hey! Next time it is third and about 7 go ahead and punt! Why wait until after that stupid bubble screen to punt? Go ahead and do it on third down!
Okay. Enough ranting. Just was wondering what other plays people thought were stupid.

I think the Victory formation should be banned.  Force them to run a play

[Image: HG.gif]

(01-19-2016, 06:58 PM)HG Wrote:  I think the Victory formation should be banned.  Force them to run a play

And isn't spiking the ball to stop the clock the same as intentional grounding?

Honestly I can't stand Absurdist plays.  I always leave the theater feeling confused, like there was some abstract meaning that I missed.  I prefer when plays are more head on with the subject matter.  Give me a begining, middle and an end. Not some art piece you would find at the museum of contemporary art. 

A while ago I saw a big production camino real by Tennessee Williams.  I hated every second of it. The story wasn't clear, I had no idea where they were nor any idea what was actually going on. 

Compare that to one of my favorite plays, Long days journey into night by Eugen O'neil.   Not much action happens in that play, but it is very naturalistic and the story is fantastic.

[Image: chitown4.gif]
Check out my new fan page for daily updates

(01-19-2016, 07:40 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote:  Honestly I can't stand Absurdist plays.  I always leave the theater feeling confused, like there was some abstract meaning that I missed.  I prefer when plays are more head on with the subject matter.  Give me a begining, middle and an end. Not some art piece you would find at the museum of contemporary art. 

A while ago I saw a big production camino real by Tennessee Williams.  I hated every second of it. The story wasn't clear, I had no idea where they were nor any idea what was actually going on. 

Compare that to one of my favorite plays, Long days journey into night by Eugen O'neil.   Not much action happens in that play, but it is very naturalistic and the story is fantastic.

By Jove, I think he's got it!

(01-19-2016, 05:32 PM)Razorchief Wrote:  Alas! With the season over and new co-offensive coordinators coming in, or taking over , or whatever it is they do, I thought it would be fun to list those plays we all hate to see, especially those stupid plays called at the wrong time. 
Plays like a bubble screen, which everybody and their brother can see coming, on a third and 8. And the play goes for all of three yards. My dad has a great quote for plays like this. "why did we throw for 3 yards? Because we needed 9".  Pitiful. 
And my favorite "please don't run this play" of all time is the punt from anywhere in the other team's side of the field. Fourth down from the 37 and we punt!! We punt!! Losing in a playoff game on the road and we punt! From the 37!!  This is especially bad if you have moved the ball, let's say about 35 yards, and now face a fourth and 2. What?!? you have moved the ball 35 yards and you can't get 2 more?? Pitiful!! Bad signal to send to your offense that you have no faith. Hey! Next time it is third and about 7 go ahead and punt! Why wait until after that stupid bubble screen to punt? Go ahead and do it on third down!
Okay. Enough ranting. Just was wondering what other plays people thought were stupid.

I can't agree more.  Personally I'm opposed to punting anywhere in opponent territory.  The only real exception is if it's a close low scoring game where field position is vital.  That was not this game.  KC needed to make a play.  When you're down 2 scores in the 4th quarter, you don't punt the ball in that situation.  They're 'scaredy cat' punts.  

In this game?  Hard to say.  I'm kind of tired of this micky-mouse offense we're running.  Sometimes I feel that rather than being cute you just have to say "You know what we're doing, we know what we're doing... stop us".  That in itself makes it hard for me to pick individual plays.  The micky-mouse stuff is great for keeping opponents off balance and on edge, but it can't be the bread-and-butter of your offense.  The pats knew how to stop the micky-mouse jet sweeps/fakes, variety of screens, clear out swing passes... that stuff wasn't working.

I have a big problem with repeated fade routes from the five or so. Just run the damn ball a couple of times instead of trying a fade that everybody can see coming.

(01-23-2016, 03:37 PM)Razorchief Wrote:  I have a big problem with repeated fade routes from the five or so. Just run the damn ball a couple of times instead of trying a fade that everybody can see coming.

I hate fade routes.  They succeed, on average, about 40% of the time. 

Runs have a higher success rate.