Home of the Chiefs
Chiefs vs. Patriots - Week 4 Afternoon Game - Printable Version

+- Home of the Chiefs (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Gridiron (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: HG Memorial Chiefs Talk (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Chiefs vs. Patriots - Week 4 Afternoon Game (/showthread.php?tid=9542)

Pages: 1 2 3

vs. Patriots - Week 4 Afternoon Game - asskickingboots - 09-29-2020

I've had to hear how the Ravens were going to destroy the Chiefs since within days of the last time the Chiefs convincingly beat them, both from opposing fans and so-called experts. We weren't going beat them in the playoffs. Then our Super Bowl wasn't legit because we didn't have to beat them and the Patriots on our way. Then they were going to destroy us again on MNF in week 3 almost all offseason.

Now our enemies have to be feeling pretty helpless. If the chiseled Adonises (Adonisii?) that everyone put on a pedestal as the team to beat were dispatched so quickly I wouldn't have been surprised if Andy Reid ran out onto the field arms wide open yelling "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!!!", who could beat us?

Enter the Patriots.

The Patriots are still good. Their offense may be different with Cam, but it may even be a marked improvement. Their defense is excellent. Their coaching top notch. Amazing special teams. They still might be the team to beat in the AFC East even despite the threat of the up and coming Bills.

The only loss for the Patriots were to Seahawks, led by current MVP front runner and fantasy stud Russell Wilson, and the Pats were one successful QB run away from beating them. The Seahawks might be the best team in the NFC and the Patriots all but had them.

The Chiefs cannot sleep on this game. Harbaugh is a good coach. He is not Darth Hoodie though.The Patriots compare rather favorably to the Chiefs. Very similar stats in terms of yards and yards allowed. I'll try to get some statistical angle on this later, I'm typing from my phone right now, but as crazy as this sounds I'm a little worried the Patriots game could be a trap.

RE: vs. Patriots - Week 4 Afternoon Game - asskickingboots - 09-30-2020

I guess I can give you some interesting stats leading into this game.

Chiefs have had far better success against QBs. Chiefs opponents have had 84.6 QB Rating while the Patriots allowed 103.9. Mahomes has a 114.3 QB Rating while Cam has 89.7. Chiefs have 10 sacks while allowing just 2. Patriots have 5 and allowed 5.

Patriots have had far more success against the run game. Chiefs allowed 5.3 ypc vs. 4.6 ypc for the Pats. Chiefs averaged 4.9 ypc, Patriots 5.1. The Patriots are much more dependent on their running game for volume stats, but if you don't finish long drives with TDs it does minimal damage to the Chiefs.

Chiefs have a slight edge in points for and against. I'd argue the Chiefs faced the tougher schedule with the Texans, Chargers, and Ravens compared to the Dolphins, Seahawks, and Raiders.

The Pats aren't super reliant on the blitz to generate pressure like the Ravens are, but they don't get to the QB as much (5 sacks forced) despite being about equals at applying pressure as the Chiefs, both among the league leaders (32.7% Chiefs pressure rate vs. 33.7% Patriots).

Generating pressure with 4 has been the most important factor in limiting Mahomes, but even then he tends to make adjustments and plays later in games that he initially struggles in.

I guess what I'm getting at is the Patriots are good, they match up fairly well with the Chiefs in some specific categories, but the Chiefs should still be the better team and win this, but I'm less confident than I was heading into the Ravens game.

RE: vs. Patriots - Week 4 Afternoon Game - NOLA - 09-30-2020

I think Patrick Mahomes looks forward to any and all chances to avenge that bullshit AFC Championship Game ending two years ago.

RE: vs. Patriots - Week 4 Afternoon Game - tyecopeland - 09-30-2020

I'm more confident than I was about the ravens game. This years patriots are very similar to the ravens. They have to run it well to beat you. And they are definitely capable of it. And BB won't go away from it like the ravens did for whatever reason. But after watching the defense do a good job containing lamar, I think they can do the same to cam. And I wasnt sure our d would be able to do that before the ravens game.

RE: vs. Patriots - Week 4 Afternoon Game - asskickingboots - 10-01-2020

(09-30-2020, 09:21 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  I'm more confident than I was about the ravens game. This years patriots are very similar to the ravens. They have to run it well to beat you. And they are definitely capable of it. And BB won't go away from it like the ravens did for whatever reason. But after watching the defense do a good job containing lamar, I think they can do the same to cam. And I wasnt sure our d would be able to do that before the ravens game.

Without looking it up my hunches on when not to bet on the Chiefs (-7 is a huge line against a good team) have generally been pretty poor, so take what I said with a grain of salt.

I will agree I feel better about our ability to contain a running QB.

However, part of what I think happened is Lamar got worn out. Too many QB runs and options early, designed and otherwise, combined with consistent pressure just put too much on his shoulders figuratively and legs literally.

I imagine Darth Hoodie will manage Cam a little better. Ravens are better than the Patriots overall, I just expect the Pats to make it more difficult.

RE: vs. Patriots - Week 4 Afternoon Game - NOLA - 10-03-2020

Cam Newton has COVID and is out.

While I'm happy to not face Cam (he's a legit superstar when healthy and it frustrates me he doesn't seem to get credit for that), I'm terrified of our team going to facility that seems to have a COVID outbreak.

EDIT: And I see they're playing at Arrowhead! Sweet.

RE: vs. Patriots - Week 4 Afternoon Game - tyecopeland - 10-03-2020

Game is likely to be postponed until they can confirm through multiple tests that it was isolated to cam. See the ttians and the positives that have been stringing along.

RE: vs. Patriots - Week 4 Afternoon Game - asskickingboots - 10-03-2020

(10-03-2020, 10:41 AM)NOLA Wrote:  Cam Newton has COVID and is out.

While I'm happy to not face Cam (he's a legit superstar when healthy and it frustrates me he doesn't seem to get credit for that), I'm terrified of our team going to facility that seems to have a COVID outbreak.

EDIT: And I see they're playing at Arrowhead!  Sweet.

Wow, game changer. I was already planning on starting Joe Burrow vs. Jax over Cam in fantasy, but damn. That makes me a lot more confident than I was before in this game.

Remember all the times I've shat on Brian Hoyer in the past? This should be a cakewalk unless their defense puts on a Herculean performance. This even effects their running game as the threat of Cam taking off was a major component of that.

I feel sorry for the bettors taking New England -7 in hopes of a back door cover. I saw previously something like 70% of bets were on them plus the points.

Here's hoping nobody else gets the bad bug whilst the Pats are in town.

RE: vs. Patriots - Week 4 Afternoon Game - asskickingboots - 10-03-2020

(10-03-2020, 10:52 AM)tyecopeland Wrote:  Game is likely to be postponed until they can confirm through multiple tests that it was isolated to cam. See the ttians and the positives that have been stringing along.

They'll be tested. With all the rapid testing available there's no reason to postpone it unless there's evidence of more positives.

RE: vs. Patriots - Week 4 Afternoon Game - tyecopeland - 10-03-2020

(10-03-2020, 10:55 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:  
(10-03-2020, 10:52 AM)tyecopeland Wrote:  Game is likely to be postponed until they can confirm through multiple tests that it was isolated to cam. See the ttians and the positives that have been stringing along.

They'll be tested. With all the rapid testing available there's no reason to postpone it unless there's evidence of more positives.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1312423124932218881?s=20

Tuesday night is already the likely scenario according to shefter.