Home of the Chiefs
NFL 2020 Other Games Thread - Printable Version

+- Home of the Chiefs (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Gridiron (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: HG Memorial Chiefs Talk (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: NFL 2020 Other Games Thread (/showthread.php?tid=9536)

Pages: 1 2

2020 Other Games Thread - asskickingboots - 09-11-2020

The other AFC West division games this opening weekend are:
Raiders @ Panthers Noon
Chargers @ Bengals 3:05
Titans @ Broncos MNF (back half of double-header)

So, if you want to watch all these games you can depending upon what your local affiliates carry.

Raiders @ Panthers (LV favored by 3)
I think the Panthers are bad outside of Run CMC, I know the hawtest hawt taek ever, but adding Bridgewater at QB might be enough of an improvement to add a couple wins on the season if he can just bring some stability. This should be a winnable game for them.

The Raiders I don't feel like they made the major improvements they needed to compete with us by a long shot, but they may be a more convincing 7-9 than they were last year (-106 point differential, simply put they got lucky enough to get worse draft picks).

The Raiders invested a lot in veteran defensive players, particularly in their front 7 in LB Cory Littleton (100+ tackle LB), DE Carl Nassib (Meh DE), and others, I just don't know what to think of them as a cohesive unit. It wouldn't take much to improve the defense though, that's what has buried them in the cellar the last few years.

Chargers @ Bengals (LA favored by 3)
The Chargers should be a better team than the Bengals, but this is the first time we've see anything other than Rivers leading them in a long time. Tyrod is an incredibly different QB than Rivers. More careful. More athletic. But he played piss poor the last we saw him for the Browns. Should be interesting. The defense losing Derwin James is huge.

They were an average team that had some bad breaks last year that led to a worse than deserved 5-11 record (-8 point differential), but it's hard to jump on the bandwagon right now (not that I would).

The Bengals were 2-14 en route to winning Joe Burrow. While I wouldn't expect too much from a rookie QB starting immediately, Burrow's weapons (Mixon, AJ Green, Boyd, etc.) are nothing to sneeze at. However, the fact that this is only a 3 point game really reflects the lack of faith in the Chargers on behalf of the betting public more than anything to do with the Bengals.

Titans @ Broncos (TEN favored by 2.5)
Broncos have the toughest matchup by far. They were 7-9 with a -34 point differential, so they were the only case where they actually finished where they belonged.

But they're facing a legitimate Titans team that had some uncanny bad luck to end up at their evergreen Jeff Fisher memorial 9-7 status (+71 point differential) and made some noise in the playoffs. The Titans lost some pieces (Logan Ryan, Jack Conklin) but added some guys too (Clowney, Vic Beasley). Hard to say exactly where they stand, but it'd be easy to guess average or better.

The Broncos at least gave the appearance of improvement in a number of areas, but many of these improvements are rookies. Not every rookie hits and not every hit shows up right away, and of those that hit they're likely to hit the famed "rookie wall" at the end of the year, especially with the lack of a full offseason of preparation. Losing Von Miller cannot be understated. Considering his age, he may never be the same player again.

I think the Broncos have the best shot of challenging us this year, but they are going to feature some hardcore growing pains, especially early.

RE: 2020 Other Games Thread - asskickingboots - 09-14-2020

I did not get to see either of the division games so far, but both the Raiders and Bolts scraped by with narrow victories against terrible teams. Time for them to puff out their chests for beating teams that combined got 7 wins while we faced a 10 team win that won a playoff game.

You can tell me the Texans aren't as good as advertised, but they are a clear cut class or two above the likes of the Bengals and Panthers.

RE: 2020 Other Games Thread - tyecopeland - 09-14-2020

I didn't see anything but the touchdowns from either game so I can't really comment but I will anyway. From what I can gather, the raiders looked considerably better than the chargers. But neither showed enough to be considered threats to the division.

RE: 2020 Other Games Thread - DallasChief - 09-14-2020

The Chargers are not very good offensively. Defense is still stout. I didn't see much of the Raiders game though.

RE: 2020 Other Games Thread - NOLA - 09-14-2020

I watched the Senior Bowl yesterday afternoon. Brady looks pretty terrible, and Drew Brees did not look much better by comparison. The Saints' roster is so stacked I still think they'll be fine, but the Bucs could be in for another long season.

RE: 2020 Other Games Thread - tyecopeland - 09-16-2020

(09-14-2020, 04:53 PM)NOLA Wrote:  I watched the Senior Bowl yesterday afternoon.  Brady looks pretty terrible, and Drew Brees did not look much better by comparison.  The Saints' roster is so stacked I still think they'll be fine, but the Bucs could be in for another long season.
How do you feel about the report that the saints wanted brady if Brees had retired?

RE: 2020 Other Games Thread - NOLA - 09-16-2020

(09-16-2020, 08:25 AM)tyecopeland Wrote:  
(09-14-2020, 04:53 PM)NOLA Wrote:  I watched the Senior Bowl yesterday afternoon.  Brady looks pretty terrible, and Drew Brees did not look much better by comparison.  The Saints' roster is so stacked I still think they'll be fine, but the Bucs could be in for another long season.
How do you feel about the report that the saints wanted brady if Brees had retired?

Oh, I think that's pretty dumb.  I believe it may well be true, I just think it's dumb it if is.

I wanted the Saints to keep Teddy.  Full stop.

RE: 2020 Other Games Thread - mabbott - 09-17-2020

I got to watch the Raiders game and I am not impressed. Derek Carr is still Derek Carr... they should have lost the game, but got a fortunate call and kept them in it.

They have a solid set of WRs, very fast but it didn't result in much. Jacobs is scary, he is their weapon. If a team can limit his effectiveness they can easily beat the Raiders.

Hudson still looks good for the Raiders, I still feel they overpaid for a center, but he is showing that he continues to perform.

RE: 2020 Other Games Thread - tyecopeland - 09-21-2020

Brees didn't look very good again. Saints defense kinda imploded as well. Lot of ticky tack calls go against their defense. I think theyve built up a reputation of holding and interference more than they actually make.

RE: 2020 Other Games Thread - NOLA - 09-22-2020

(09-21-2020, 10:22 PM)tyecopeland Wrote:  Brees didn't look very good again. Saints defense kinda imploded as well. Lot of ticky tack calls go against their defense. I think theyve built up a reputation of holding and interference more than they actually make.

Yeah, but the brisket I had last night was fucking amazing.