Home of the Chiefs
2020 Draft thread - Printable Version

+- Home of the Chiefs (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Gridiron (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: 2020 Draft thread (/showthread.php?tid=9528)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: 2020 Draft thread - asskickingboots - 04-24-2020

Round 2, pick 31, Chiefs select:

Willie Gay, Jr., Linebacker, Mississippi State
6'1", 243 lbs.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/willie-gay%20jr.?id=32194741-5961-6560-4c22-a878a997faab

I need to come out straight and say it, I love guys like this. Glad to see him coming onto this team. This was the real moneyshot of this draft so far. I am a terrible person.

Everything I'm reading suggests this is a great height, weight, speed combo, so the physical traits are there. Maybe not a thumper, but good in coverage. I can neither confirm nor deny anything more than that, but sounds good to me.

RE: 2020 Draft thread - asskickingboots - 04-24-2020

(04-24-2020, 07:23 PM)NOLA Wrote:  So... another first round pick out of LSU, then?  I, for one, am shocked.

This team does have some weird tendencies, like that and San Fran QBs.

RE: 2020 Draft thread - The_Jonas - 04-24-2020

In spite of your lack of excitement, KC is killing this draft.  With bottom of the round picks.  Veach is an assassin.  Filled 3 needs.  2 guys will probably start soon.  A swing tackle that may develop into a replacement for one of our great tackles.

I haven't read anything but the title post. 

Best rb in the draft.  I see priest.  Or leveon.  That patient guy who is just so elusive in close space.  The first guy ALWAYS seems to miss.  Hides behind linemen, manipulates the defense.  His lateral movement is insane.  He's so underrated because of the combine.  When Williams gets hurt, he will lose his job.

RE: 2020 Draft thread - The_Jonas - 04-24-2020

(04-24-2020, 09:16 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  Round 2, pick 31, Chiefs select:

Willie Gay, Jr., Linebacker, Mississippi State
6'1", 243 lbs.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/willie-gay%20jr.?id=32194741-5961-6560-4c22-a878a997faab

I need to come out straight and say it, I love guys like this. Glad to see him coming onto this team. This was the real moneyshot of this draft so far. I am a terrible person.

Everything I'm reading suggests this is a great height, weight, speed combo, so the physical traits are there. Maybe not a thumper, but good in coverage. I can neither confirm nor deny anything more than that, but sounds good to me.

Character issues.  

Looks and plays A lot like Derrick Johnson to me.  Fast and attacks downhill with abandon. 

Typical Andy pick.  Budget talent with PR problems. 

That bit our ass with Peters, but was a blessing with hill.

RE: 2020 Draft thread - asskickingboots - 04-25-2020

(04-24-2020, 11:30 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  In spite of your lack of excitement, KC is killing this draft.  With bottom of the round picks.  Veach is an assassin.  Filled 3 needs.  2 guys will probably start soon.  A swing tackle that may develop into a replacement for one of our great tackles.

I haven't read anything but the title post. 

Best rb in the draft.  I see priest.  Or leveon.  That patient guy who is just so elusive in close space.  The first guy ALWAYS seems to miss.  Hides behind linemen, manipulates the defense.  His lateral movement is insane.  He's so underrated because of the combine.  When Williams gets hurt, he will lose his job.

I've been impressed as well. I'm curious if there's any intent to start OT Lucas Niang at LG early in his career or if he's just going to be a swing tackle, but considering he was injured and required surgery late last year this might be a more or less developmental year for him. I think your assessment is dead on about Gay too.

I already liked (not loved) the CEH pick, but I watched that video yesterday and it made me feel a ton better. Kollman does tend to overstate his case, but he singled out CEH and the tape looks really damn good, especially when broken down so you can further emphasize his fantastic vision / decision making with jump cuts or leaving NFL talent striking air trying to tackle him 1 on 1 in space. Priest definitely came to mind when I saw him diving over the line, but I was already thinking about him based on patience as a runner.

This was RB1 off the board. This is exactly the guy Team Veach wanted, no matter what armchair GMs say about other RBs. That alone already gave me confidence.

RE: 2020 Draft thread - ChiefsChick23 - 04-25-2020

(04-24-2020, 09:17 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  
(04-24-2020, 07:23 PM)NOLA Wrote:  So... another first round pick out of LSU, then?  I, for one, am shocked.

That was the pre-Mahomes era.  Cool

RE: 2020 Draft thread - tyecopeland - 04-25-2020

Ok I didnt make it all the way through CEH highlight video but some observations.

1. His acceleration seems legit.
2. Hes going to make people miss.
3. I'm impressed by his ability to hold on to the ball, because hes doing so much jump cutting and such he ends up getting tackled by several guys alot and they are trying to strip the ball but he doesnt fumble.
4. Tyreek is going to catch him on a lot of his big runs. His top end speed isnt amazing. So tyreek and watkins will be running interference on any break away runs for them to end up tds.
5. Hes probably basically what reid was hoping to get from shady last year. Shifty dude with some power but not a track star minus the fumbles.

I would have rather had queen if he would have fallen to us and I would have had confidence in damien, darrel, darwin and DeAndre to provide for us at rb. But it seems like a good fit and this is probably the last year for damien anyway. Also, I'm guessing darrel is odd man out after this pick. Maybe practice squad.

I had not heard the name gay until we made the pick. I didnt see him listed as a BPA or anything so the name shocked me as I was expecting baun if we went lb. The thing that concerns me is not the academic issues or the fight. Its if he struggles to know where hes supposed to be on a play. Is that the reason he didnt play (start) as much? I'm not sold on Hitchens being that great at getting guys into the right spot so that would be 2 lbs kind of lost occasionally leaving it up to Mathieu to make sure that our lbs and thornhill know wtf they are supposed to be doing. Now maybe he just needs coaches up but if gay really has trouble learning (basing off his wonderlic and the academic issue) it could be a problem. DJ knew where to be and what he needed to be doing so while athletically the comparison might be made I'm worried about the mental

Now, lucas niang. With his injury maybe hes just going to be given a year to learn under schwartz but could he be competition at lg as well? I was hoping for a center or a guard as those were our weakest positions. But both Schwartz and Fisher could be cut after this next year with minimal cap repercussions so if hes capable of being a starter on the outside maybe now was the time to get a starter in the 3rd round.

I was also hoping to trade back at some point to get some late round picks to make some flyer calls in a deep draft but on the flip side, with limited offseason practices (and less preseason? ) there will be less ability to evaluate anybody getting drafted anyway. So you are probably more likely to go with what you know rather than the unknown this year.

RE: 2020 Draft thread - NOLA - 04-25-2020

(04-24-2020, 09:17 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:  

Since it probably wasn't apparent through a very thick layer of sarcasm, I'm actually really happy with this pick.  It's fun and exciting when your teams grabs an offensive skill player early even when it doesn't make sense--this is not one of those times.  This makes a ton of sense to me.  Williams was great in the playoffs, but he disappeared for large portions of season, even when he wasn't hurt.  We still miss Hunt (on the field).  Hopefully CEH can replace that element of the offense.