Home of the Chiefs
RIP Gunther Cunningham - Printable Version

+- Home of the Chiefs (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Gridiron (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: RIP Gunther Cunningham (/showthread.php?tid=9459)

RIP Gunther Cunningham - NOLA - 05-13-2019

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-chiefs-coach-gunther-cunningham-143454090.html

RIP Gunther.

RE: RIP Gunther Cunningham - DallasChief - 05-13-2019

Cancer sucks.

RE: RIP Gunther Cunningham - Coach - 05-13-2019

If you are mid 20's to late 30's, and you love defense, it's probably because of Gunther.

I will admit to that.

RE: RIP Gunther Cunningham - HG - 05-14-2019

Well some of the old timers that have been around the old Huddle. My screen name was originally Hail Gunther. People stared calling me HG and it stuck. So yeah, Im truly saddened by this.

RE: RIP Gunther Cunningham - The_Jonas - 05-14-2019

(05-13-2019, 06:56 PM)Coach Wrote:  If you are mid 20's to late 30's, and you love defense, it's probably because of Gunther.

I will admit to that.

I'm 37, love defense, and I have no idea what this means.  

The defense was great before Gunther.  

I'm 99% sure Sutton had more top 5 defenses in KC than Gunther did.

I digress.  RIP Gunther.  I didn't know he was sick.  He was always an entertaining coach.  So many guys aren't, but he was.  Always sincere.  Maybe too sincere for his own good at times.

RE: RIP Gunther Cunningham - NOLA - 05-14-2019

(05-14-2019, 08:05 AM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(05-13-2019, 06:56 PM)Coach Wrote:  If you are mid 20's to late 30's, and you love defense, it's probably because of Gunther.

I will admit to that.

I digress.  RIP Gunther.  I didn't know he was sick.  He was always an entertaining coach.  So many guys aren't, but he was.  Always sincere.  Maybe too sincere for his own good at times.

I always respected that he was willing to come back and be DC for Vermeil after the way he was fired by a message board (not this one).

RE: RIP Gunther Cunningham - Coach - 05-14-2019

I will admit to that.

They were great before Gunther, no disagreement.  However in 1995 and 1997, especially in 1997, they were on a whole another level.  They were so damn good in 1997 that they broke a 63-year old mark owned by the 1934 Detroit Lions by not permitting a second half TD in 10 straight games.

And Sutton was just trash.  Get that out of here.  Gunther never got his ass kicked like that in the playoffs by playing soft coverage and reluctance to blitz anyone.

RE: RIP Gunther Cunningham - The_Jonas - 05-16-2019

(05-14-2019, 11:21 PM)Coach Wrote:  

I will admit to that.

They were great before Gunther, no disagreement.  However in 1995 and 1997, especially in 1997, they were on a whole another level.  They were so damn good in 1997 that they broke a 63-year old mark owned by the 1934 Detroit Lions by not permitting a second half TD in 10 straight games.

And Sutton was just trash.  Get that out of here.  Gunther never got his ass kicked like that in the playoffs by playing soft coverage and reluctance to blitz anyone.

10 sacks in a season.

With Tamba Hali on the team.

Gunther had a good run 25-20 years ago.  His second stint was a disaster and he was outright awful in Detroit.

Again, don't want to go there.   I'm just saying he got a LOT of mileage out of 2 good seasons.  I won't blame his defenses for the fact KC couldn't win a playoff game either season.  We all know that was Marty's fault.  

In the end it was his personality that people fell in love with.