Home of the Chiefs
HG's Super-Sick VENOM spoiler thread, bros! - Printable Version

+- Home of the Chiefs (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Gridiron (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: HG's Super-Sick VENOM spoiler thread, bros! (/thread-9397.html)

HG's Super-Sick VENOM spoiler thread, bros! - NOLA - 10-06-2018

I saw this movie.  Whatcha got, bro?

I liked it, but wish it had been "worse"... it was a bad movie like the new Predator movie was a bad movie--a fucking awesome one--but this one didn't lean into the campiness nearly enough to be fun, but wasn't traditionally "good" enough to be really good.

RE: HG's Super-Sick VENOM spoiler thread, bros! - The_Jonas - 10-06-2018

Everything I hear is a resounding 'meh.'

Not good enough to be a good movie, but not bad enough to be novel. Apparently follows the standard beats that have been established for super hero origins.

As for me? I don't LIKE anti-hero venom. I like villain venom.

RE: HG's Super-Sick VENOM spoiler thread, bros! - NOLA - 10-06-2018

(10-06-2018, 12:17 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: Everything I hear is a resounding 'meh.'

Not good enough to be a good movie, but not bad enough to be novel.  Apparently follows the standard beats that have been established for super hero origins.  

As for me?  I don't LIKE anti-hero venom.  I like villain venom.

He's more villain in this movie than anti-hero.

He's not a good character period, but as someone who read comics in the 90s and has a soft-spot for him, I'm glad I saw this movie (at a matinee and on my sinemia plan).  I'd say if you're on the fence, go to a cheap screening and let it wash over you.  There's enough moments to make up for the broader-stroke deficiencies that make it a movie stuck in early-2000s development hell.

RE: HG's Super-Sick VENOM spoiler thread, bros! - HG - 10-08-2018

Pussy!

RE: HG's Super-Sick VENOM spoiler thread, bros! - The_Jonas - 10-09-2018

(10-06-2018, 01:24 PM)NOLA Wrote:
(10-06-2018, 12:17 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: Everything I hear is a resounding 'meh.'

Not good enough to be a good movie, but not bad enough to be novel.  Apparently follows the standard beats that have been established for super hero origins.  

As for me?  I don't LIKE anti-hero venom.  I like villain venom.

He's more villain in this movie than anti-hero.

He's not a good character period, but as someone who read comics in the 90s and has a soft-spot for him, I'm glad I saw this movie (at a matinee and on my sinemia plan).  I'd say if you're on the fence, go to a cheap screening and let it wash over you.  There's enough moments to make up for the broader-stroke deficiencies that make it a movie stuck in early-2000s development hell.

Bah.  The initial basis for the character was awesome, but didn't have a lot of staying power.  Same Raimi was just being an old man yelling at clouds with his venom hate.  Sometimes great villains are better off being killed before they just make you forget what made them awesome.  Like Bane in Batman comics.  Went from Batman's greatest challenge to C-lister in the rogue gallery.