Home of the Chiefs
Chiefs Training Camp & Preseason 2018 - Printable Version

+- Home of the Chiefs (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Gridiron (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Chiefs Training Camp & Preseason 2018 (/thread-9363.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Training Camp & Preseason 2018 - DallasChief - 08-25-2018

The defense is a hot pile of garbage. Is it too late to sign Bashaud Breeland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Training Camp & Preseason 2018 - Razorchief - 08-26-2018

If roughing the passer gets called for tackling a backup then wonder what would happen if Brady, Rodgers or Brees got hit like that? Season suspension? House repossessed?

RE: Training Camp & Preseason 2018 - asskickingboots - 08-26-2018

If anyone wants 2 very nice tickets to the last preseason game, I won't be able to go.

RE: Training Camp & Preseason 2018 - The_Jonas - 08-27-2018

(08-26-2018, 11:33 AM)Razorchief Wrote: If roughing the passer gets called for tackling a backup then wonder what would happen if Brady, Rodgers or Brees got hit like that? Season suspension? House repossessed?

The rules are so stupid that I'm not sure if that was a bad call or if just hitting the QB too hard is a penalty now.

RE: Training Camp & Preseason 2018 - asskickingboots - 08-28-2018

Scandrick and Amerson are rotating in during nickel packages:

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/28/orlando-scandrick-david-amerson-corner-battle/

The more important part of this news is Nelson has cleared concussion protocol and is returning to practice.

I haven't been a fan of either Amerson or Scandrick in the preseason, but at this point hiring a presumably not in football shape corner like Bashaud Breeland probably isn't the best solution either. There's a chance a better veteran 3rd corner (not nickel, just first guy off the bench) drops after cuts.

It will be interesting to see which of these two sees more time in preseason game 4. I'm guessing they both see a lot of action and are legitimately evaluated both to see who gets more playing time at the start of the year and who will be more likely to be cut should a better option pop up. No way they're cutting Tremon Smith instead.

RE: Training Camp & Preseason 2018 - asskickingboots - 08-31-2018

The countdown to the regular season has begun. Here's mah hawt taeks.

Trade for Ward
Nobody has mentioned it here yet, but the Chiefs have agreed to terms on a trade for Dallas UDFA CB Charvarius Ward, giving up OG Parker Enhinger.

The word on Ward is he's a physically gifted small school corner that plays better outside in press. Craig Stout of Arrowhead Pride already has a film review. BTW, Seth Keysor went to The Athletic. It's a $60 a year service to sub, $48 first year, so I doubt I'm going to bite the bullet on that one.

Trading for Ward after already signing Scandrick makes it more likely they are moving on from Amerson. My guess is we're looking at Fuller, Nelson, Scandrick, Ward, and Tremon Smith at CB. Arrion Springs has a shot to hit the roster, but is probably practice squad bound. Still wouldn't be surprised to see the team continue to try with Amerson though.

LG Spot
Enhinger is a better LG based on what I've seen than Erving, but now that he's gone there's an increased chance Wylie will be the starting LG. We may have been heading that way anyway.

My guess is the staff preferred Erving for stupid reasons, like that he's got the versatility to suck at multiple positions, and they wanted to keep Khalil McKenzie off of the practice squad so his daddy doesn't steal him. Okay, that second part actually is smart, even if it's obvious.

What to do at returner?
Tremon Smith has looked solid at returner, but Byron Pringle looked even better. Smith plays the thinner position and probably has a more realistic path to becoming a key contributor at CB in the near future. Pringle needs to make this roster though after last night's performance with one great 47 yard return and 122 yards receiving.

There's a logjam at receiver right now with Hill, Watkins, Conley, and Robinson all locks. That leaves some pretty decent receivers fighting over a spot or two and special teams plays a huge part. DAT, Chesson, and Pringle, all have shown flashes at times and would be key special teams contributors. There's a strange possibility the team keeps 7 wideouts.

Who else stood out?
Ben Niemann has made plays all season, including a handful of tackles and a near pick last night. I understand he's got some physical limitations, but he has a nose for the ball. There's almost no way he doesn't make the roster after the preseason, it's just a question of who doesn't make it, like maybe Terrance Smith.

All of the backup QBs had some pretty good moments last night. Henne went 4/5 for 33 yards and 1 TD, showing why he is QB2. I know most fans want to keep Litton, but if McGloin has more value in the QB room it's more important to help your franchise, long term QB than take on a project.

Have to mention Armani Watts. He needed the extra playing time because he's still raw, but he looked stellar last night with 2 picks, one a very nice, athletic catch.

Dorian O'Daniel quietly racked up 6 solo tackles and had some solid coverage too.

RE: Training Camp & Preseason 2018 - ChiefsChick23 - 08-31-2018

So glad I got to go to the last preseason game. It was a really fun one to be at.  Winning is just a bonus.

I want to keep Litton vs McGloin (but I won't fight you for it, I'm okay with McGloin too) IF we keep a #3 QB at all.  We might not.  I think Litton has a little more value long-term than McGloin (given McGoin is a vet - and more expensive too - than Litton, who played JUST as well, if not at times better, but as an undrafted rookie). For the cost, there's no downside to Litton over McGloin.  McGloin can and should make someone else's roster, maybe even as a #2 if someone gets desperate.

Who can remember a preseason where ALL of the QB's did all right?  It's weird to be suddenly deep at QB.  If Mahomes can't play I am very confident Henne will do just fine for a game or two.

If Darrel Williams doesn't make the team I will be shocked.  He caught my eye at training camp and I've liked everything I've seen out of the guy.

Also Ben Niemann really needs to make the team. He's been a beast.

Our secondary scares the crap out of me, but I think - no, I HOPE - Amerson hits the bricks. I'm having really bad flashbacks of a less-aggressive William Bartee. TURN YOUR DAMN HEAD, BARTEE!  *cough*

I suspect some familiar names are gonna not make the cut.  I was sorta surprised by the Ehringer trade but given he's had a bitch of a time getting his starting job back, maybe it makes more sense than any of us realize.  I'd rather have a potential decent CB on the team, all things considered, even if I'm still thinking our o-line is not as good as I'd wish.

After camp and the preseason, I am confident our offense can win shoot-outs. Which is good, because with this defense, they are going to have to.

RE: Training Camp & Preseason 2018 - NOLA - 08-31-2018

So... who's backing up Mahomes?  I legit can't remember.  Also haven't been able to catch a preseason game on NFL network yet this year.

RE: Training Camp & Preseason 2018 - The_Jonas - 08-31-2018

(08-31-2018, 10:53 AM)NOLA Wrote: So... who's backing up Mahomes?  I legit can't remember.  Also haven't been able to catch a preseason game on NFL network yet this year.

Chad Henne.  

Who, IMO, isn't a terrible option for a back up.  He played pretty well in the preseason, has playing experience, and seems to at least grasp the vanilla preseason offense.

It's a mess if Mahomes goes down long term, but I think he can adequately fill in for a few games.

RE: Training Camp & Preseason 2018 - NOLA - 08-31-2018

(08-31-2018, 12:37 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:
(08-31-2018, 10:53 AM)NOLA Wrote: So... who's backing up Mahomes?  I legit can't remember.  Also haven't been able to catch a preseason game on NFL network yet this year.

Chad Henne.  

Who, IMO, isn't a terrible option for a back up.  He played pretty well in the preseason, has playing experience, and seems to at least grasp the vanilla preseason offense.

It's a mess if Mahomes goes down long term, but I think he can adequately fill in for a few games.

I mean... oof.  I certainly don't want to see him in a game.  If he's enough a veteran that he can prep the 1st team defense in practice a la Damon Huard, fine.  But just like Huard, if he's on the field, things have already gone to shit.