Home of the Chiefs
NFL 2018 Draft Prospects - Printable Version

+- Home of the Chiefs (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Gridiron (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: NFL 2018 Draft Prospects (/thread-9351.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

2018 Draft Prospects - asskickingboots - 03-06-2018

Thought it'd be nice to have a common thread to discuss draft prospects, whether we like them, dislike them, where we think they're going to go, and so on.

Anyway, first one I thought we'd focus on is one of my favorite prospects, Shaquem Griffin, and if you hadn't heard his story you're going to. Why? He only has one hand but is still a legitimate badass. He had a great workout at the combine too, adding to his hype. Outstanding motor player that I'd love to have on the Chiefs.

Shaquem was recently the subject of a scouting report on Arrowhead Addict.
https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/03/03/2018-nfl-draft-scouting-report-shaquem-griffin/

I learned about him a couple months ago when one of my favorite Youtubers posted this video:

Problem? If we're being honest he is becoming overrated because of the extra attention his story brings. He was initially seen by most as a 5th to 7th round talent, but since the combine there are people asking if he should be a 1st rounder, which is hyperbole on their part. He's undersized, only 222 lbs. He wouldn't be an ideal fit as an ILB in a 3-4, really more of a 4-3 OLB.

I think he's going to be a starter eventually in this league and a special teams stud, but even with a need at ILB I think he'll be overdrafted and not fall to the 4th round where he might be worth a look.

RE: 2018 Draft Prospects - Chi-town_Chief - 03-06-2018

(03-06-2018, 07:10 PM)asskickingboots Wrote: Thought it'd be nice to have a common thread to discuss draft prospects, whether we like them, dislike them, where we think they're going to go, and so on.

Anyway, first one I thought we'd focus on is one of my favorite prospects, Shaquem Griffin, and if you hadn't heard his story you're going to. Why? He only has one hand but is still a legitimate badass. He had a great workout at the combine too, adding to his hype. Outstanding motor player that I'd love to have on the Chiefs.

Shaquem was recently the subject of a scouting report on Arrowhead Addict.
https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/03/03/2018-nfl-draft-scouting-report-shaquem-griffin/

I learned about him a couple months ago when one of my favorite Youtubers posted this video:

Problem? If we're being honest he is becoming overrated because of the extra attention his story brings. He was initially seen by most as a 5th to 7th round talent, but since the combine there are people asking if he should be a 1st rounder, which is hyperbole on their part. He's undersized, only 222 lbs. He wouldn't be an ideal fit as an ILB in a 3-4, really more of a 4-3 OLB.

I think he's going to be a starter eventually in this league and a special teams stud, but even with a need at ILB I think he'll be overdrafted and not fall to the 4th round where he might be worth a look.

This is really a great story. Everything I have read said he has the best attitude. I really hope he makes it in the league.

RE: 2018 Draft Prospects - DallasChief - 03-07-2018

Who is the LB that ran a 4.3 40? And the Raiders will be all in on that guy, right?

RE: 2018 Draft Prospects - ChiefsChick23 - 03-07-2018

Thanks for firing this thread up.  I don't watch college ball so it helps!

RE: 2018 Draft Prospects - asskickingboots - 03-07-2018

(03-07-2018, 08:21 AM)DallasChief Wrote: Who is the LB that ran a 4.3 40? And the Raiders will be all in on that guy, right?

I think that's Shaquem. He ran a 4.38, but he played DB until last year and is undersized.

Now that I've slept on it, he would be a great fit as a S/LB hybrid in our system.

RE: 2018 Draft Prospects - asskickingboots - 03-12-2018

Here's a very good article about some defensive standouts that had good combines that should be available at the Chiefs 2nd round pick or later.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/03/12/kansas-city-chiefs-draft-combine-standouts-fit-defense/

Lorenzo Carter is someone I in particular am looking at in this draft. His inconsistent play in college will be helped by the fact that he's put on a little healthy weight, about 10 lbs of muscle, and moving him to 3-4 OLB. Like the author says, his got great effort and talent, so he could very well get coached up.

RE: 2018 Draft Prospects - asskickingboots - 04-11-2018

Thought I'd do a mock draft for fun, seeing as we're a little over 2 weeks away. I used Fanspeak's On The Clock draft simulator, 4 rounds, using the Fanspeak draft board.

54: R2P22
CB ISAIAH OLIVER, COLORADO
6'1", 190 lbs

If it was just about picking a need I'd be settling on an Edge rusher here, but Oliver was too good to pass on (<-- I don't care what you think, that's a good pun, dammit!). Outstanding all around athlete with the size and length to contest difficult to get to passes. I think Oliver is a low risk CB pick, the type of guy you expect to do well but not always be flashy. His play speed is better than his timed 4.5 forty. Also, he can return kicks.

I was tempted to pick Edge rusher Lorenzo Carter here, but that would have been a reach, especially with a player like Oliver available. Not surprised to see Carter gone by my next pick, but I'm expecting him to last into the 3rd when the real draft happens.

78: R3P14
EDGE KEMOKO TURAY, RUTGERS

6'5", 252 lbs

Turay is a guy that has the tools and needs some coaching. That sounds like the most cliched draft profile for an edge rusher ever if only I'd add "undersized" (he's not), but Turay flashed some of his potential at the Senior Bowl according to many. I managed to look up some of the one-on-one drills of his at the Senior Bowl and I agree that he was impressive physically. His speed often was too much for the OLs. Give him some better hand-fighting and a counter move or two and he could be excellent. Or he could be a bust.

Other Edge rushers I was considering include Chad Thomas and Arden Key, but I came away thinking Turay was the most impressive. If we don't pick up an Edge here, others I really like Dorance Armstrong (another pick based on potential) and Jeff Holland (high motor player) in the 4th or later.

86: R3P22
DL TIM SETTLE
, VIRGINIA TECH
6'3", 335 lbs

The most common comparison I've seen for Settle is Vince Wilfork. Settle is a surprisingly athletic big man, so it makes sense, though he's not the freak athlete Poe was coming out of college. I think he can play NT or DE in our scheme, stuff the run, and still rush the passer. From what I've seen he's good at generating penetration and the numbers reflect that, 12.5 TFL and 4 Sacks. Not sure how well he can handle constant double teams, though, but he's got some talent and puts in effort.

Other players I considered here included C/G Frank Ragnow and WR Deon Cain. Ragnow I eventually decided against because I don't know if he's athletic enough to be a good lineman in an Andy Reid system (it's close). Cain would be a fun weapon to have for Mahomes and a great kick returner, but Settle filled a more pressing need for DL depth.

122: R4P22
S KYZIR WHITE, WVU
6'2", 216 lbs

White played the "Spur" hybrid LB role in the Mountaineer defense, so it's clear what I want him for in Sutton's defense. White is a baller, plays hard and fearless. Watch that highlight video with the sound on and you can hear the reason I want this guy on our team. He doesn't have the range to play the free safety in single deep man zone, but I think he'd do everything else adequately and the in the box stuff exceptionally well.

No need to worry about who else I was considering, there's just one pick between this and the next Chiefs pick.

124: R4P24

TE IAN THOMAS, INDIANA
6'4", 259 lbs

Talented but raw tight end that's already starting to develop. He'll probably be picked way before this based on his potential. I would love to get a killer TE2 to pair with Kelce, and this guy could be it. More physical than fines

I also considered a handful of other players. I didn't like the lack of athleticism from the linemen I was looking at. The other LBs all had a glaring issue (not very physical or not very athletic). I almost picked Shaquem Griffin (the one-handed guy), but I preferred White to him. The only other player I seriously considered was Marquis Haynes, an undersized Edge rusher.

Final Thoughts
Looking back I may have been better off taking Frank Ragnow instead of Settle and picking up a decent DL in the 4th like Nathan Shepherd. There is quality defensive depth this draft, so if you want to get some quality depth and role players late it can be done. Offensive talent is a little less deep.

RE: 2018 Draft Prospects - tyecopeland - 04-11-2018

Kiper picked settle for us in hihis 3 round mock. In the same pick as you did too.

RE: 2018 Draft Prospects - asskickingboots - 04-12-2018

(04-11-2018, 09:46 PM)tyecopeland Wrote: Kiper picked settle for us in hihis 3 round mock. In the same pick as you did too.

Yeah, I saw that. Clearly he spends his time endlessly manicuring his hair and just quickly looks up random Internet commenters for his hot takes.

I really like Settle, but there really is a ton of DL depth in this draft. Chiefs Wire had an article out just today about some of the DLs we could target in each round of the draft.

RE: 2018 Draft Prospects - NOLA - 04-16-2018

So the draft is next week, right?  We should get a nice little boost of conversation for a few days, and then there's really not shit going on until training camp starts in July.  Enjoy it while you can, folks.