Home of the Chiefs
Chiefs OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - Printable Version

+- Home of the Chiefs (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Gridiron (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Chiefs OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread (/showthread.php?tid=9334)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - tyecopeland - 07-22-2019

(07-22-2019, 03:50 PM)DallasChief Wrote:  For my part, I'm vetoing Legion of Zoom.

I don't like it either. Mostly because it's copycatting off the Seahawks and fuck the Seahawks.

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - The_Jonas - 07-22-2019

(07-22-2019, 11:43 AM)NOLA Wrote:  Barnwell gets it:

Quote:Don't be surprised if ... Patrick Mahomes is better on deep balls

The most exciting moment in any given week of the NFL season was Mahomes looking downfield and firing. The second-year quarterback produced a stunning debut campaign as the Chiefs' starter, as the league MVP became the second member of the 5,000-50 club with 5,097 passing yards and 50 passing touchdowns in a single season.

Typically, this would be the moment where I'd point out how unlikely it is for any quarterback to produce those numbers in a single season. It's fair to say Mahomes probably won't make it back to the 5,000-50 club again in 2019, if only because a lot has to go right for any passer to make it there in a given year.

In terms of deep passes, though, Mahomes left a fair number of big-play opportunities on the table. The first half of the regular-season loss to the Patriots comes to mind as a place where Mahomes narrowly missed scores. He more than made up for the misses, of course, but it's scary to say that there might even be more chances for him to make magic happen in 2019.

The NFL's Next-Gen Stats define deep passes as throws traveling 20 or more yards in the air and open targets as receivers with three or more yards of separation between themselves and the closest defender. Mahomes attempted 28 deep passes to open receivers last season, 11 more than anybody else in football. He completed 14 of those passes for an even 50%; the rest of the league completed just over 62% of those same throws. Next-Gen Stats also estimates the likelihood of Mahomes completing each of those attempts and projected a completion percentage of 59.3% on those passes, much closer to the league average than his actual mark.

Chances are that Mahomes won't have quite as many receivers running totally free in the secondary as he did in 2018, but given how talented the brilliant Texas Tech product looked last season, I wouldn't be surprised if he was more efficient when those receivers do come free in 2019.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27234797/barnwell-nfl-fact-check-surprised-7-things-happen
Why?

I mean this is just casually asserted, but if Hill and Watkins improve as players (both still young, and Watkins has, allegedly, looked bad ass in OTA's) why won't that happen?

Andy Reid has been breaking coverages for years and has probably the fastest and most talented WR corp he's ever had.  I see no reason we couldn't see MORE of it.

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - NOLA - 07-22-2019

(07-22-2019, 04:55 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(07-22-2019, 11:43 AM)NOLA Wrote:  Barnwell gets it:

Quote:Don't be surprised if ... Patrick Mahomes is better on deep balls

The most exciting moment in any given week of the NFL season was Mahomes looking downfield and firing. The second-year quarterback produced a stunning debut campaign as the Chiefs' starter, as the league MVP became the second member of the 5,000-50 club with 5,097 passing yards and 50 passing touchdowns in a single season.

Typically, this would be the moment where I'd point out how unlikely it is for any quarterback to produce those numbers in a single season. It's fair to say Mahomes probably won't make it back to the 5,000-50 club again in 2019, if only because a lot has to go right for any passer to make it there in a given year.

In terms of deep passes, though, Mahomes left a fair number of big-play opportunities on the table. The first half of the regular-season loss to the Patriots comes to mind as a place where Mahomes narrowly missed scores. He more than made up for the misses, of course, but it's scary to say that there might even be more chances for him to make magic happen in 2019.

The NFL's Next-Gen Stats define deep passes as throws traveling 20 or more yards in the air and open targets as receivers with three or more yards of separation between themselves and the closest defender. Mahomes attempted 28 deep passes to open receivers last season, 11 more than anybody else in football. He completed 14 of those passes for an even 50%; the rest of the league completed just over 62% of those same throws. Next-Gen Stats also estimates the likelihood of Mahomes completing each of those attempts and projected a completion percentage of 59.3% on those passes, much closer to the league average than his actual mark.

Chances are that Mahomes won't have quite as many receivers running totally free in the secondary as he did in 2018, but given how talented the brilliant Texas Tech product looked last season, I wouldn't be surprised if he was more efficient when those receivers do come free in 2019.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27234797/barnwell-nfl-fact-check-surprised-7-things-happen
Why?

I mean this is just casually asserted, but if Hill and Watkins improve as players (both still young, and Watkins has, allegedly, looked bad ass in OTA's) why won't that happen?

Andy Reid has been breaking coverages for years and has probably the fastest and most talented WR corp he's ever had.  I see no reason we couldn't see MORE of it.

Yeah, I don't agree with that part of it, but I like that he expects Mahomes to improve on his play from last year, whereas I think every other writer seem the think he's to regress both as a player and statistically.

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - asskickingboots - 07-23-2019

I'm open to other nickname ideas for the wideouts. Maybe something incorporating Showtime Mahomes?

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - NOLA - 07-23-2019

(07-22-2019, 04:52 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(07-22-2019, 03:50 PM)DallasChief Wrote:  For my part, I'm vetoing Legion of Zoom.
Way too derivative.  

Being TV or pop culture derivative is one thing, but being NFL derivative is weak sauce.  Do NOT enter that sauce at the county fair.  

Because it's WEAK.

Well, Legion of Boom and Legion of Zoom are actually both derivative of the Legion of Doom...

[Image: Justice-League-Movie-Legion-Of-Doom-Appearance.jpg]

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - The_Jonas - 07-23-2019

(07-23-2019, 11:23 AM)NOLA Wrote:  
(07-22-2019, 04:52 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
Way too derivative.  

Being TV or pop culture derivative is one thing, but being NFL derivative is weak sauce.  Do NOT enter that sauce at the county fair.  

Because it's WEAK.

Well, Legion of Boom and Legion of Zoom are actually both derivative of the Legion of Doom...

[Image: Justice-League-Movie-Legion-Of-Doom-Appearance.jpg]

Yeah, I know.

Comics are part of pop culture.  

Well, they used to be.  Nobody buys comics now except 40 year old single dudes.

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - The_Jonas - 08-01-2019

So are we outraged?   I thought it was a great video package.  I hope KC manufactures some disrespect out of it as a team.  Going from nobody to 4 is pretty awesome.  It can be hard to process that a QB who had never started a season just had the 2nd best QB season of all fucking time.  Let's be real.  Everyone knows he's the best player in the game.   Everyone knows.  They can be in denial, but kid will own the #1 spot for a decade.  No sweat.  

Fun package though.  

Good god, is it September yet?

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - NOLA - 08-01-2019

(08-01-2019, 01:31 AM)The_Jonas Wrote:  

So are we outraged?   I thought it was a great video package.  I hope KC manufactures some disrespect out of it as a team.  Going from nobody to 4 is pretty awesome.  It can be hard to process that a QB who had never started a season just had the 2nd best QB season of all fucking time.  Let's be real.  Everyone knows he's the best player in the game.   Everyone knows.  They can be in denial, but kid will own the #1 spot for a decade.  No sweat.  

Fun package though.  

Good god, is it September yet?

So who's ahead of him?

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - DallasChief - 08-01-2019

1. Aaron Donald
2. Drew Brees
3. Khalil Mack
4. Patrick Mahomes
5. Todd Gurley
6. Tom Brady
7 Antonio Brown
8. Aaron Rodgers
9. Julio Jones
10. Von Miller

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - asskickingboots - 08-01-2019

I'd be more offended if it were analysts saying Mahomes wasn't number 1. Being players, They've got their reasons. Doesn't mean they're good reasons, but a lot of the old guys aren't ready to crown someone after one year.