Home of the Chiefs
Chiefs OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - Printable Version

+- Home of the Chiefs (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Gridiron (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Chiefs OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread (/showthread.php?tid=9334)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - Chi-town_Chief - 10-04-2018

Mahomes is the least chiefs thing to ever happen to the chiefs.

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - NOLA - 10-04-2018

(10-04-2018, 12:09 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote:  Heh.

See?  He sounds like Kermit.

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - ChiefsChick23 - 10-04-2018

(10-04-2018, 12:21 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote:  Mahomes is the least chiefs thing to ever happen to the chiefs.

It's a new day, my friend.

A new day.

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - Coach - 10-05-2018

Watch Pat's eyes.  Compare to his predecessor's eyes.

When pressured, his predecessor's eyes looks right at the pass-rush.  That's a big no-no for a QB.  Too many times I care to count on my hand that I seen that happen a lot.

There may be one or two that I may have missed on Pat, but as far as I know, he hasn't been "deer lights" at the pass-rush.  He kept his eyes level and down at the field, not at the rushers (other than spinning his head sideways to check if nobody's on his opposite side - this has happened once or twice this season) when he moves out of the pocket.

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - The_Jonas - 10-05-2018

(10-05-2018, 12:29 AM)Coach Wrote:  Watch Pat's eyes.  Compare to his predecessor's eyes.

When pressured, his predecessor's eyes looks right at the pass-rush.  That's a big no-no for a QB.  Too many times I care to count on my hand that I seen that happen a lot.

There may be one or two that I may have missed on Pat, but as far as I know, he hasn't been "deer lights" at the pass-rush.  He kept his eyes level and down at the field, not at the rushers (other than spinning his head sideways to check if nobody's on his opposite side - this has happened once or twice this season) when he moves out of the pocket.

Yeah, this was something apparent in college.  Even when he scrambles he's looking to throw until that option is totally exhausted. 

I thought you were going to talk about how he uses his eyes to open windows in zone coverage like he's a 10 year NFL veteran.

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - NOLA - 10-05-2018

(10-05-2018, 02:38 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  
(10-05-2018, 12:29 AM)Coach Wrote:  Watch Pat's eyes.  Compare to his predecessor's eyes.

Yeah, this was something apparent in college.  Even when he scrambles he's looking to throw until that option is totally exhausted. 

I thought you were going to talk about how he uses his eyes to open windows in zone coverage like he's a 10 year NFL veteran.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - Coach - 10-05-2018

In the first half against Denver, he definitely looked like a rookie as he was seeing coverages/schemes that he never seen before on tape, on top of that his receivers were dropping footballs/footballs were not quite accurate.

The 2nd half, there were adjustments made, and he looked much more comfortable and looked like a 10 year veteran.

And he does use his eyes to open windows, thus the no-look passes.  He's looking at one particular area, but in the very side of his eyes, he knows that area is going to be vacated/empty and he is putting a lot of trust into his receivers to be in that area to be ready to catch it.  That's anticipation, and he's doing a hell of a job on that.

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - The_Jonas - 10-05-2018

(10-05-2018, 07:59 PM)Coach Wrote:  

In the first half against Denver, he definitely looked like a rookie as he was seeing coverages/schemes that he never seen before on tape, on top of that his receivers were dropping footballs/footballs were not quite accurate.

The 2nd half, there were adjustments made, and he looked much more comfortable and looked like a 10 year veteran.

And he does use his eyes to open windows, thus the no-look passes.  He's looking at one particular area, but in the very side of his eyes, he knows that area is going to be vacated/empty and he is putting a lot of trust into his receivers to be in that area to be ready to catch it.  That's anticipation, and he's doing a hell of a job on that.

They ran mostly man coverage.  Lots of holding was allowed and WR's couldn't separate.  What they mixed up were the damn rush packages and the disguises for them.  It blew up in their face too.  Due to the athleticism and depth of KC"s WR's and Mahomes ability to extend plays, the DB's were EXHAUSTED from chasing them around.  By the 4th quarter he had openings and when he didn't, he created them by extending plays.

He didn't look like a rookie.  At all, to me.  Any great QB would have been stifled in that situation.  A rookie would have put KC in a hole.  Denver's gameplan was better.  They completely outcoached the chiefs, predicted their plays, and locked down his WR's.  Mahomes wasn't missing open WR's or throwing dangerous passes into coverage. 

The biggest weakness of man coverage is exactly that.  It doesn't account for the QB and if he gets outside the pocket he can buy time for WR's.  No DB can cover, in man, for 6 or 7 seconds.  They never STOPPED locking down KC's WR's.  mahomes just kept extending plays and making off-script superstar plays when it mattered.

I know the Jags D is better, but Denver is a divisional rival.  I'm not sure the Jags, in KC, will put up a test like that.  The odds of officials letting WR's and DB's play physical like that is not good in today's NFL.  It's rare.

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - NOLA - 10-06-2018

(10-05-2018, 11:54 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  

They ran mostly man coverage.  Lots of holding was allowed and WR's couldn't separate.  What they mixed up were the damn rush packages and the disguises for them.  It blew up in their face too.  Due to the athleticism and depth of KC"s WR's and Mahomes ability to extend plays, the DB's were EXHAUSTED from chasing them around.  By the 4th quarter he had openings and when he didn't, he created them by extending plays.

He didn't look like a rookie.  At all, to me.  Any great QB would have been stifled in that situation.  A rookie would have put KC in a hole.  Denver's gameplan was better.  They completely outcoached the chiefs, predicted their plays, and locked down his WR's.  Mahomes wasn't missing open WR's or throwing dangerous passes into coverage. 

The biggest weakness of man coverage is exactly that.  It doesn't account for the QB and if he gets outside the pocket he can buy time for WR's.  No DB can cover, in man, for 6 or 7 seconds.  They never STOPPED locking down KC's WR's.  mahomes just kept extending plays and making off-script superstar plays when it mattered.

I know the Jags D is better, but Denver is a divisional rival.  I'm not sure the Jags, in KC, will put up a test like that.  The odds of officials letting WR's and DB's play physical like that is not good in today's NFL.  It's rare.

I was thinking that, too.  Denver had a good game plan... for a while.  But it was completely untenable, and by the end of the 4th quarter, you could tell the secondary was gassed when they absolutely couldn't afford to be.

RE: OFFICIAL PATRICK MAHOMES Thread - The_Jonas - 10-06-2018

(10-06-2018, 10:12 AM)NOLA Wrote:  
(10-05-2018, 11:54 PM)The_Jonas Wrote:  

I was thinking that, too.  Denver had a good game plan... for a while.  But it was completely untenable, and by the end of the 4th quarter, you could tell the secondary was gassed when they absolutely couldn't afford to be.

Chris Harris is all "I had to get two IV's!"  Von Miller over there sucking from a mask... and Von played his guts out.  Made me jealous.  I mean Mahomes was making it so hard but he brought it 100% on EVERY snap.  Full speed.   Not shocking since guys usually give it a little extra when they're mic'd up.

I wish I could say that about our star pass rusher.  If he had a motor like Von, Houston would be at that level.  He gets his stats, but not long ago he was the guy who was in the backfield making QB's miserable consistently instead of just on a few key 3rd downs.