Home of the Chiefs
Chiefs Game 16: Chiefs at Donkeys - Printable Version

+- Home of the Chiefs (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Gridiron (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Chiefs Game 16: Chiefs at Donkeys (/thread-9328.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Game 16: Chiefs at Donkeys - NOLA - 01-01-2018

Got to see the video now.  Thanks, AKB.

Mahomes looks very much like a project to me, but one with some serious potential.  There were some amazing throws in there, along with some real head-scratching decisions.

RE: Game 16: Chiefs at Donkeys - asskickingboots - 01-01-2018

(01-01-2018, 01:29 PM)NOLA Wrote: Got to see the video now.  Thanks, AKB.

Mahomes looks very much like a project to me, but one with some serious potential.  There were some amazing throws in there, along with some real head-scratching decisions.

Agreed about his potential, but Jonas is right. He seems to get away with things consistently that no one else would because he literally can do things no one else can.

I don't think it's a coincidence his headscratching plays seem to work out. He's bound to be less successful at his wing and a prayer plays than college, but we've already seen a couple "that would never work in the NFL" plays in just his first game.

I think project is too negative of a term for him. Project suggests things like not knowing the playbook and needing to correct mechanical issues. Tyler Bray is a project... that might even be a positive thing to say about him at this point. That's not a problem for Mahomes. I imagine you meant it from more from a decision making standpoint, but I don't think that's going to change much. He will always take some crazy chances, but that's because he's crazy like a fox.

RE: Game 16: Chiefs at Donkeys - HG - 01-01-2018

Its kinda like they said at the draft.  Gunslinger.  Very Brett Favre type.

RE: Game 16: Chiefs at Donkeys - asskickingboots - 01-01-2018

(01-01-2018, 12:58 PM)tyecopeland Wrote: He's also undoubtedly talented and got a cannon, he also made Albert wilson some money in the offseason if wilson is a free agent. Good lord he destroyed the broncos secondary.

Yes, Wilson is a UFA after this season. I've always been lukewarm about Wilson, not a hater, but not an apologist. It was sort of an unfortunate fact he was our 2nd or 3rd best WR. He's shown some flashes, but also all but literally disappeared from games at other times.

After that game, we NEED to sign him. Do it. Do it now. Do it today. Do not wait for him to cost more. Do not let him get away. Sign him for multiple years so long as you don't have to pay him like he's a superstar. Yes, I am dead serious.

The initial positive comparison people were making about Wilson when he first came onto the scene was Randall Cobb. In terms of height, weight, speed, body type, how they run after the catch, they are pretty much twins though Cobb has been way more productive. Cobb has had a bit of an up and down career, in part due to injuries, but really had a down year this year once it wasn't Rodgers slinging the rock.

This down season for Cobb would still be a career year for Wilson at this point, but as I was re-watching highlights earlier today a thought occurred to me. It's very possible the main thing Wilson needs to be most of Cobb is Aaron Rodgers throwing the ball.

I'm not predicting a 1,200+ yard 12 TD season from Wilson with Mahomes throwing the ball, but I think he can be that 900 yard complimentary player to Hill that can occasionally take over a game like Cobb has been in most of his time in Green Bay. Between Hill, Wilson, Conley, Robinson, and Chesson, we might have a receiving core Mahomes can take advantage of. It'd be great if we don't have to waste our limited draft picks trying to bolster that group.

RE: Game 16: Chiefs at Donkeys - warthog - 01-01-2018

I was listening to the radio broadcast while watching, mainly because Beth Mowins is like listening to fingernails on a chalkboard, and I got actual chills when I saw that’s they were replacing Bray with Mahomes and Mitch Holtus said ‘and Andy Reid is sending Wild Bill Hickok back out to finish the job’.  And he did.

Alex Smith had a great season, but no doubt Mahomes has better down field vision.  He can see receivers open up while he is under pressure when sometimes Alex Smith could have a clean pocket and never see a wide open Travis Kelce or Tyreek Hill.  Alex does have great stats, but a lot of that is due to Smiths reluctance to take a chance.  All of those times he takes a sack or throws the ball away, never show up in the stats.

RE: Game 16: Chiefs at Donkeys - The_Jonas - 01-02-2018

(01-01-2018, 07:09 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 12:58 PM)tyecopeland Wrote: He's also undoubtedly talented and got a cannon, he also made Albert wilson some money in the offseason if wilson is a free agent. Good lord he destroyed the broncos secondary.

Yes, Wilson is a UFA after this season. I've always been lukewarm about Wilson, not a hater, but not an apologist. It was sort of an unfortunate fact he was our 2nd or 3rd best WR. He's shown some flashes, but also all but literally disappeared from games at other times.

After that game, we NEED to sign him. Do it. Do it now. Do it today. Do not wait for him to cost more. Do not let him get away. Sign him for multiple years so long as you don't have to pay him like he's a superstar. Yes, I am dead serious.

The initial positive comparison people were making about Wilson when he first came onto the scene was Randall Cobb. In terms of height, weight, speed, body type, how they run after the catch, they are pretty much twins though Cobb has been way more productive. Cobb has had a bit of an up and down career, in part due to injuries, but really had a down year this year once it wasn't Rodgers slinging the rock.

This down season for Cobb would still be a career year for Wilson at this point, but as I was re-watching highlights earlier today a thought occurred to me. It's very possible the main thing Wilson needs to be most of Cobb is Aaron Rodgers throwing the ball.

I'm not predicting a 1,200+ yard 12 TD season from Wilson with Mahomes throwing the ball, but I think he can be that 900 yard complimentary player to Hill that can occasionally take over a game like Cobb has been in most of his time in Green Bay. Between Hill, Wilson, Conley, Robinson, and Chesson, we might have a receiving core Mahomes can take advantage of. It'd be great if we don't have to waste our limited draft picks trying to bolster that group.

Regarding Wilson.. JAG.  We can find another guy like him.  He's made some tougher catches this year, but c'mon.  He's Albert Wilson.  He had match up advantages with Denver's starting CB's seeing few snaps.  I"m not thinking it's a need.  I expect development from Chesson.  Is that his name?  He got some PT.  Not much of a kick returner...

Man, Robinson really laid a turd out there.  Mahomes was really relying on him early and he totally blew it.  Getting open doesn't matter if you won't catch the fucking ball.  No wonder Alex doesn't trust him.

RE: Game 16: Chiefs at Donkeys - The_Jonas - 01-02-2018

(01-01-2018, 05:33 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:

Agreed about his potential, but Jonas is right. He seems to get away with things consistently that no one else would because he literally can do things no one else can.

I don't think it's a coincidence his headscratching plays seem to work out. He's bound to be less successful at his wing and a prayer plays than college, but we've already seen a couple "that would never work in the NFL" plays in just his first game.

I think project is too negative of a term for him. Project suggests things like not knowing the playbook and needing to correct mechanical issues. Tyler Bray is a project... that might even be a positive thing to say about him at this point. That's not a problem for Mahomes. I imagine you meant it from more from a decision making standpoint, but I don't think that's going to change much. He will always take some crazy chances, but that's because he's crazy like a fox.

I didn't see any head scratching decisions.  I thought he played smart and within himself.  His INT was just an awful throw.  Inaccurate bad pass.  Thomas WAS open on that play, but he ball sailed.  

He made a throw on that 2 minute drive that nobody in the NFL, except maybe Aaron Rogers, is even capable of.  Von Miller chasing him down, running backwards?  

He made another 3rd down pass to wilson with a guy literally hanging off his of leg.  Mechanics?  No step in... rifled the ball 10-15 yards.  Mechanics are for lesser QB's.

This kid is legit.  KC has never had a QB with this kind of raw talent as long as Iv'e been a fan.  I've only seen a FEW QB's with this kind of raw talent across the entire NFL in my 25+ years as a fan.  Most of them kinda turned out awesome.

I'm not kidding.  The floor is Stafford.  The Ceiling is Aaron Rogers.  I haven't been this confident in a player since KC drafted the sure-thing called Eric Berry.

Either way, KC is gonna need a checkbook handy in 3-4 years.

RE: Game 16: Chiefs at Donkeys - ChiefsChick23 - 01-02-2018

(01-01-2018, 07:09 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:

Wilson has been playing hard all year long, and has been a key player when we needed those long 3rd downs.  He stepped up into his role as well as Conley would have done.  I *became* a fan this year when I was not much of one before now.

Definitely want to keep Wilson for those reasons. BUT I don't want to overpay for him either.

RE: Game 16: Chiefs at Donkeys - NOLA - 01-02-2018

(01-01-2018, 05:33 PM)asskickingboots Wrote:

That's what I meant, yeah.

RE: Game 16: Chiefs at Donkeys - chiefsfaninky - 01-02-2018

My head scratching moment came when Andy thought it was a good idea to get Bray in the game. He never should have been an option. 4+ years in a system, and still looks lost as a goose. Just plain pathetic.  Glad Mahomes came back in and engineered the game winning drive. He is going to be someone we can hang our hats on.