Home of the Chiefs
Larry Johnson Struggling with Memory Loss, Violent Thoughts, Believes He Has CTE - Printable Version

+- Home of the Chiefs (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Gridiron (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Larry Johnson Struggling with Memory Loss, Violent Thoughts, Believes He Has CTE (/thread-9320.html)

Pages: 1 2

Larry Johnson Struggling with Memory Loss, Violent Thoughts, Believes He Has CTE - NOLA - 12-12-2017

This is a heartbreaking read.  And I more-or-less always thought of Johnson as a scumbag, and even in 2005 wasn't much of a fan, but I would not wish this on anyone.  Whether it's CTE or some other mental illness... it's not much of a life.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/sports/wp/2017/12/12/ex-nfl-player-larry-johnson-grapples-with-violent-urges-and-memory-loss-he-thinks-its-cte/?utm_term=.d2230bf07175

RE: Larry Johnson Struggling with Memory Loss, Violent Thoughts, Believes He Has CTE - The_Jonas - 12-13-2017

I actually read this article.  I'll be honest.  My first thought was "he must have had CTE before he was even drafted."

RE: Larry Johnson Struggling with Memory Loss, Violent Thoughts, Believes He Has CTE - NOLA - 12-13-2017

(12-13-2017, 01:57 AM)The_Jonas Wrote: I actually read this article.  I'll be honest.  My first thought was "he must have had CTE before he was even drafted."

I think it sounds pretty likely.  The profile of his dad was... not flattering.  Does not sound like anyone was ever looking out for his health.

RE: Larry Johnson Struggling with Memory Loss, Violent Thoughts, Believes He Has CTE - NOLA - 12-13-2017

Also, that 2006 season was criminally abusive and should count as another reason Herm Edwards is a fucking moron.  LJ never recovered after that.

RE: Larry Johnson Struggling with Memory Loss, Violent Thoughts, Believes He Has CTE - ChiefsChick23 - 12-14-2017

LJ has actually changed dramatically and turned his life around.

Admits his mistakes and is trying to do good in the world now.

RE: Larry Johnson Struggling with Memory Loss, Violent Thoughts, Believes He Has CTE - NOLA - 12-14-2017

(12-14-2017, 08:33 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: LJ has actually changed dramatically and turned his life around.

Sounds like he's struggling to stay a part of the world now.

RE: Larry Johnson Struggling with Memory Loss, Violent Thoughts, Believes He Has CTE - ChiefsChick23 - 12-14-2017

(12-14-2017, 10:11 AM)NOLA Wrote:
(12-14-2017, 08:33 AM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: LJ has actually changed dramatically and turned his life around.

Sounds like he's struggling to stay a part of the world now.

Yes.  And I hope he stays with us.

RE: Larry Johnson Struggling with Memory Loss, Violent Thoughts, Believes He Has CTE - The_Jonas - 12-15-2017

Yeah, it's been like 3 years since he was last arrested for cutting a guy with a broken bottle.  

2012 he beat up a woman, his favorite past time.

My sympathy tank is empty for that guy.

RE: Larry Johnson Struggling with Memory Loss, Violent Thoughts, Believes He Has CTE - chiefsfaninky - 12-15-2017

Hard to feel sorry for him, given his past domestic issues, but this article is pretty heart-felt. I feel sad for his little girl. 
The bit he did at the presser where he imitated Herm was classic tho.

RE: Larry Johnson Struggling with Memory Loss, Violent Thoughts, Believes He Has CTE - NOLA - 12-15-2017

(12-15-2017, 12:42 PM)chiefsfaninky Wrote: Hard to feel sorry for him, given his past domestic issues, but this article is pretty heart-felt. I feel sad for his little girl. 
The bit he did at the presser where he imitated Herm was classic tho.

Well, what I took from the article is this: it's very hard to separate the terrible things he's done from the mental illness he's clearly suffering from, be it CTE or something else.  I don't think that means you have to--or should--forgive him for his obviously shitty behavior on too many occasions to count, but I think it would be intellectually dishonest to not at least acknowledge the interplay between the brain trauma and the outbursts.  Again, it's not something I would wish on anyone.

And yes, literally every part of the article about his daughter made me sad.