Home of the Chiefs
Chiefs Trade Linebacker DJ... - Printable Version

+- Home of the Chiefs (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Gridiron (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap (http://www.homeofthechiefs.com/forums/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Chiefs Trade Linebacker DJ... (/thread-9255.html)

Trade Linebacker DJ... - asskickingboots - 07-28-2017

...Alexander.

Chiefs trade LB and pro bowl special teamer DJ Alexander to the Seahawks for LB Kevin Pierre-Louis. Basically, it looks like the Chiefs are trading a sure fire special teams stud for someone they think has the potential to earn more regular playing time.

RE: Trade Linebacker DJ... - mabbott - 07-28-2017

Special Team studs are not really worth increasing price tags. With the injuries to our linebackers, he should have made it to the rotation more.

RE: Trade Linebacker DJ... - ChiefsChick23 - 07-29-2017

I really do not understand why this happened.  It's perplexing.

RE: Trade Linebacker DJ... - asskickingboots - 07-30-2017

(07-29-2017, 08:44 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: I really do not understand why this happened.  It's perplexing.

For some reason, DJ Alexander couldn't find playing time outside of special teams even when our ILB group was decimated by injuries. So, despite him being great on special teams, we signed guys off the street rather than start him. There has to be some kind of reason for that.

Kevin Pierre-Louis is similar in some respects, but he's actually more athletic than DJA. Other than being slightly undersized (so is DJA), KPL's SPARQ numbers are crazy good. DJA had good numbers, but not like this, and KPL has significantly better bench numbers, suggesting he should have more functional strength. He couldn't find playing time because he was behind a couple pro bowlers.

I was initially perplexed too, but now that I've seen the raw athleticism KPL has, I understand what they're doing. He has the potential to fill multiple roles on this defense, namely he can fill in for Derrick Johnson's role, but I suspect they'll also try playing him as a pseudo LB like Sorenson. I've seen a couple draft profiles suggest he might move to safety in the NFL.

In terms of what we lose on special teams, I trust in Toub. But overall, this does still have a bit of the same vibe as trading Johnathan Baldwin for AJ Jenkins only the players don't outwardly look as incompetent.

RE: Trade Linebacker DJ... - ChiefsChick23 - 08-01-2017

(07-30-2017, 08:15 AM)asskickingboots Wrote:
(07-29-2017, 08:44 PM)ChiefsChick23 Wrote: I really do not understand why this happened.  It's perplexing.

For some reason, DJ Alexander couldn't find playing time outside of special teams even when our ILB group was decimated by injuries. So, despite him being great on special teams, we signed guys off the street rather than start him. There has to be some kind of reason for that.

Kevin Pierre-Louis is similar in some respects, but he's actually more athletic than DJA. Other than being slightly undersized (so is DJA), KPL's SPARQ numbers are crazy good. DJA had good numbers, but not like this, and KPL has significantly better bench numbers, suggesting he should have more functional strength. He couldn't find playing time because he was behind a couple pro bowlers.

I was initially perplexed too, but now that I've seen the raw athleticism KPL has, I understand what they're doing. He has the potential to fill multiple roles on this defense, namely he can fill in for Derrick Johnson's role, but I suspect they'll also try playing him as a pseudo LB like Sorenson. I've seen a couple draft profiles suggest he might move to safety in the NFL.

In terms of what we lose on special teams, I trust in Toub. But overall, this does still have a bit of the same vibe as trading Johnathan Baldwin for AJ Jenkins only the players don't outwardly look as incompetent.

I hope you're right.