Menu
Forums
  65 Toss Power Trap

Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 2,176
» Latest member: baevealittley5971
» Forum threads: 9,373
» Forum posts: 194,996

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 44 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 41 Guest(s)
Baidu, Google, UptimeRobot

Chiefs to keep Gonzalez, other vets
Posted by: Wade Wilson - 10-14-2008, 02:53 PM - Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap - Replies (4)

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. ? Kansas City Chiefs president Carl Peterson gave every indication that his team will not be making a deal in the final hours before the NFL trade deadline of 4 p.m. ET, Tuesday.

"No, nada, nothing, zero," Peterson said, from the fall owners meetings, when asked if he had any possible deals for some of his high-priced veterans. TE Tony Gonzalez, RB Larry Johnson and CB Patrick Surtain have all been rumored to be on the trading block for the Chiefs, who are in rebuilding mode.

Several teams have expressed interest in Gonzalez, including the Bills, Giants and Eagles, according to published reports. However, none may be willing to meet Peterson's price tag of a third-round draft pick.

Peterson is among the executives who expressed doubt in making a deal happen.

"The phone is working," Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Bruce Allen said. "But it's like always, there's a lot of talk and that's it."

"Same as most years," Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian said.

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/around_the_nfl/post/Chiefs-to-keep-Gonzalez-other-vets;_ylt=AodwHqzK3i7LquUo2smp2ZhDubYF?urn=nfl,114904"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/around_th...?urn=nfl,114904[/url]

Print this item

Pacman suspended at least 4 games for violating conduct policy
Posted by: Wade Wilson - 10-14-2008, 02:45 PM - Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap - Replies (7)

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones has been suspended for at least four games for his most recent violation of the league's personal conduct policy, the NFL announced Tuesday.

The league said Jones was involved in an alcohol-related incident at a Dallas hotel on Oct. 8. Previous reports indicated Jones was involved in an alcohol-related scuffle with a bodyguard assigned to him by the Cowboys, and that hotel employees called the police.

Jones will not be paid during the suspension. Commissioner Roger Goodell will determine the ultimate length of Jones' suspension after Dallas' Week 11 game against Washington on Nov. 16.

In his letter to Jones informing the player of his latest suspension, Goodell said Jones' "disturbing pattern of behavior was clearly inconsistent with the conditions I set for your continued participation in the NFL."

League and law enforcement sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that Goodell was expected to weigh whether Jones was in potential violation of his probation, in which he was prohibited from alcohol-related incidents.

When Goodell reinstated Jones from suspension before the regular season began, sources said one of the commissioner's conditions for Jones to remain an active player was that he remain in compliance with all aspects of his three-year probation from when he pleaded no contest last February to a felony in Fayette County, Ga.

Police reported that Jones might have been drinking when he was involved in the scuffle with a Cowboys-assigned bodyguard last week in Dallas. But Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has refuted many of the allegations and speculation. Even though police were called to the scene, no arrests were made or charges filed.

"We respect and support the decision of the commissioner," Jones said in a statement Tuesday. "I regret that this issue has brought negative attention to the Cowboys and the NFL.

"We move forward with a very clear knowledge as to what the process will be for a possible reinstatement. Adam is well aware of where he stands and what he has to do."

Jones began his time in Dallas under close scrutiny by the league after he was suspended for the entire 2007 season for multiple violations of the conduct policy while he was a member of the Tennessee Titans. The Cowboys traded for Jones before his suspension was over and he was reinstated by Goodell on Aug. 28.

Goodell also said his decision on whether Jones can return to play will be based on Jones' strict compliance with the NFL and the Cowboys in relation to treatment plans and evaluations by clinical experts.

Information from ESPN.com NFL writer Pat Yasinskas was used in this report.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3643240"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3643240[/url]

Print this item

Dungy: Manning had two surgeries on left knee
Posted by: Wade Wilson - 10-14-2008, 11:36 AM - Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap - No Replies

INDIANAPOLIS -- One surgery wasn't enough to fix Peyton Manning's left knee.

Colts coach Tony Dungy confirmed Monday, after nearly two months of deflecting questions, that Manning was operated on a second time before returning to the field in late August.

Dungy doesn't believe the second operation -- to fix an infected bursa sac -- was the reason the team had a sluggish start this season.

"I don't think it set him back, it was part of the rehab process," Dungy said Monday. "The time frame we were initially looking at was when he came back."

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that the second procedure took place 17 days after the original surgery. Doctors were concerned about the fluid that had infected the bursa sac, which was removed in the original operation. So they tacked down all the skin around the knee to prevent that fluid leaking, which could have led to more infection. Manning needed 80 stitches during the second "tack-down" procedure.

Manning was not available in the locker room Monday, a day after the Colts routed the Baltimore Ravens 31-3, in what was easily his best game of the season. Manning typically does interviews only on Wednesdays and after games.

But he told the CBS broadcast team about the second surgery at a pregame meeting, prompting announcers Jim Nantz and Phil Simms to address the issue during Sunday's game.

Manning did not deny having a second surgery, although he had previously referred it to as irrelevant.

The two-time league MVP has said he is continuing to rehabilitate the knee that caused him to miss training camp and all five preseason games and kept him off the field until Aug. 26. Manning wasn't as precise with his passes until Sunday, when he threw for 271 yards and three touchdowns and had his highest quarterback rating of the season (134.7). Earlier this season, Manning acknowledged the knee also had forced him to make more pitches on running plays than straight handoffs.

After Sunday's game Manning indicated the loss of practice time may have affected his early-season play.

"I guess in some ways, this really is like the first week of the season for me," he said. "All I've ever known is taking every rep at every practice and playing in all the preseason games, so I did miss some time there and I've been working through that."

Mortensen reported that Manning had his knee drained during the offseason, believing the condition could managed that way. Fortunately, the infection set in early enough -- just after his Manning Passing Camp in July -- for the procedures to take place and allow him to return for the regular season. Had it come later, he would have missed start of season.

Manning hated missing training camp but he truly believes offseason on-the-field work during organized team activities is even more important than camp. The knee is "rock hard" and visibly larger than the other, but he has had constant therapy throughout the process, Mortensen reported.

While Manning's knee is no longer a major concern for the Colts, they are looking for reinforcements at running back.

Pro Bowler Joseph Addai left Sunday's game in the first quarter after hurting his hamstring, and Dungy said Monday he wasn't sure whether Addai would play this weekend at Green Bay. Third-string running back Mike Hart could miss much more time after injuring his right knee in the second quarter.

Indianapolis typically does not provide status reports until later in the week.

Dungy said Hart was scheduled to have an MRI on Monday and his prognosis is worse than Addai's, and that could leave the Colts with only one healthy back, former 1,000-yard runner Dominic Rhodes, who took every carry Sunday after Addai and Hart departed.

"It looks like it could be a while on Mike," Dungy said. "There's a good chance we will [sign another running back] and Chad Simpson would be the first guy we'd look at for sure."

Simpson is an undrafted rookie who has spent all season on the Colts' practice squad.

Had Rhodes been injured Sunday, Dungy said the Colts would have moved rookie tight end Tom Santi to running back.

And if they need another back, the Colts will likely seek a player such as Clifton Dawson, who has experience in the Colts' system.

"We're not necessarily looking for a more veteran guy, but we are looking for a guy who knows our system, knows our blocking assignments, knows our audibles," Dungy said.

The Colts could also get two starters back Wednesday. Left guard Ryan Lilja and outside linebacker Tyjuan Hagler have both been on the physically unable to perform list since training camp opened in late July. The Colts now have three weeks to activate Lilja and Hagler or they will miss the rest of the season, and Dungy believes both could start practicing this week.

Hagler said doctors cleared him to practice a couple weeks ago and he's eager to get on the field, though he doesn't know how long it will take to crack the starting lineup.

"I'm in shape, but game shape and conditioning shape are two different things," Hagler said. "But that's how you get into game shape, you continue to play in games, so we'll see."

ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3641233"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3641233[/url]

Print this item

Chiefs | L. Johnson to face assault charge
Posted by: Wade Wilson - 10-14-2008, 11:34 AM - Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap - Replies (23)

[url="http://www.kffl.com/link/9"]ESPN.com[/url] reports [url="http://www.kffl.com/team/21/nfl"]Kansas City Chiefs[/url] RB [url="http://www.kffl.com/player/5896/nfl"]Larry Johnson[/url] will answer a charge of simple assault December in Kansas City, according to the [url="http://www.kffl.com/link/142"]Kansas City Star[/url]. A 26-year-old woman accused Johnson of pushing her on the side of the head at a nightclub Feb. 24, 2008. Johnson's lawyer, Kevin E.J. Regan, said that his client will be vindicated at trial. Regan claimed that the woman did not inform management, security officers or police at the club of the incident but waited 11 hours to report the alleged assault. Johnson could be sentenced to six months in jail and a $500 fine if convicted.

[url="http://www.kffl.com"]http://www.kffl.com[/url]

Print this item

Raiders | Team will look to scale back on Russell
Posted by: Wade Wilson - 10-14-2008, 11:33 AM - Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap - Replies (6)

Jerry McDonald, of ANG Newspapers, reports Oakland Raiders head coach Tom Cable said he will look to focus on the strengths of QB JaMarcus Russell instead of trying to empty the playbook. "We certainly put him in a lot of situations, moving him around, move the pocket, three steps, five-, seven-steps and play-action, and really kind of ran the gamut with him," Cable said. "And I think we really found out a lot about where he is. And it's obvious he's still in a stage of development. It's obvious maybe he can't handle that much. But it doesn't change the fact that we need to continue to throw the football and continue to find ways to get completions and throw the ball down the field."

www.kffl.com

Print this item

Chiefs | Team plans to honor Gonzalez Week 7
Posted by: Wade Wilson - 10-14-2008, 11:31 AM - Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap - Replies (21)

Randy Covitz, of The Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs plan to honor TE Tony Gonzalez in a pre-game ceremony Week 7 in recognition of his setting the NFL record for most career receiving yards by a tight end. Gonzalez, according to the team, "will be singled out as the team is introduced to all those in attendance."

www.kffl.com

Print this item

Royals hire Seitzer, Gibbons as coaches
Posted by: Wade Wilson - 10-13-2008, 02:19 PM - Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap - Replies (2)

By BOB DUTTON

The Kansas City Star
The Royals filled out their on-field staff Monday morning by hiring former Toronto manager John Gibbons as their bench coach and returning Kevin Seitzer to the organization as hitting coach.

The two hirings complete manager Trey Hillman?s 2009 staff. Pitching coach Bob McClure, first-base coach Rusty Kuntz, bullpen coach John Mizerock and Owen are returning to the staff.

?I?m very pleased with the amount of energy and overall baseball experience we?ve been able to add to our Major League staff with John Gibbons and Kevin Seitzer,? general manager Dayton Moore said. ?John?s recent American League experience as the manager of the Toronto Blue Jays will be a tremendous asset to Trey and the rest of the coaching staff.

?I?m also excited to bring Kevin into our organization. He was an exciting player and fan favorite during his days as a Royal, and possesses the same amount of passion and energy as a coach.?

Gibbons, 46, served 4? years as the Blue Jays manager before his firing last June 20. He led the club to a 305-305 record in that time. Former bench coach Dave Owen will become the third-base coach on the reconstituted staff.

Seitzer, 46, spent the first six seasons of his 12-year playing career with the Royals. He batted .323 as a rookie in 1987 and finished second in balloting for American League Rookie of the Year.

Seitzer spent part of the 2007 season as the hitting coach at Arizona. He and former Royals teammate Mike Macfarlane operate a baseball-training facility in the Kansas City area.

The Royals also announced former third-base coach Luis Silverio would remain in the organization in the player-development department. His primary job will be to help young Latin players in their transition to professional baseball.

Silverio, 51, recently completed his 33rd year with the Royals. He spent the last six seasons as a coach on the big-league staff,

?I?m delighted that Luis has chosen to remain with our organization and serve in this newly-created position,? Moore said. ?He will work with all of our young players as they come through the system, with an emphasis on communicating with the younger Latin kids as their skills develop and begin their professional careers.

?Luis has a terrific working knowledge of our organization and his ability to communicate our values to them will only make the player more comfortable as they grow within our system.?

[url="http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/838773.html"]http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_ne...ory/838773.html[/url]

Print this item

Chiefs need some big plays from rookie Charles
Posted by: Wade Wilson - 10-13-2008, 11:32 AM - Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap - Replies (6)

[url="http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/838394.html"]http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/838394.html[/url]

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Jamaal Charles? season can hardly be called a waste. The rookie running back is averaging 4.7 yards per rush, is the Chiefs? third-leading pass receiver and has proved to be a willing and able pass protector.

But for his season to be a true success, Charles has to deliver more big plays.

The fastest of their offensive players, the Chiefs designed some plays intended to get the ball to Charles in the open field, where he might be able to outrun defenders. The Chiefs have even tried him as a kickoff returner, where he?s averaging slightly more than 26 yards per return.

He still doesn?t have a rush of more than 13 yards or a reception of more than 17 yards.

?It has to do with a lot of things,? Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said. ?(A shortage of) plays. There have been a lot of three-and-outs for us. He?s dropped a couple of balls that maybe could have been big plays. Some of it is due to the fact he hasn?t been in the game a whole lot, hasn?t touched the ball a whole lot.

?In college, he was able to do that because he could outrun a lot of guys. In this league, you?re not going to outrun a whole lot of guys. This is hard. There are fast players in this league, and they can tackle good. That?s part of it, too.?

Still, the Chiefs had bigger hopes for Charles. They quickly determined they were more comfortable with Charles as a receiver and blocker, so he replaced Larry Johnson as the featured back on third-down plays and others calling for an obvious pass.

Rare is the rookie running back who is an accomplished pass blocker. Generally, they aren?t asked to block in college.

Charles was asked to at Texas. He blocked the wrong blitzing linebacker in the season-opener in New England and the result was a sack that knocked quarterback Brodie Croyle from the lineup because of a separated shoulder.

?My coaches told me that to make it in the league, I?d have to know how to block,? Charles said. ?So I learned how to do it. I played my freshman year because I picked up the blitz well.?

Otherwise, his impact, like that of the offense as a whole, has been limited.

?To get stuff like that going, you?ve got to get your offense going first,? said Croyle, who will return as the starter in Sunday?s game against Tennessee at Arrowhead Stadium. ?It?s hard to try to get the ball to certain guys when your whole offense isn?t going on any kind of consistent basis. Look at a team like New Orleans. They have a consistently productive offense and then they?re able to mix in some special things for Reggie Bush like screens and reverses.

?That?s what we?d like to do with Jamaal, but we need to get the rest of the offense going, too.?

Charles has 21 rushes and 12 pass receptions, so he?s getting the ball only 6 1/2 times a game on average.

?I?m really not getting the ball that much, really,? Charles said. ?I?m just getting it out of the shotgun, mostly. I really want to run the ball out of the backfield instead of out of the shotgun. I think I can make more plays that way.?

The Chiefs have plenty of plays they would like to be able to do over in their 1-4 season. One from early in last month?s game against Oakland stands out.

Charles was split from the formation as a wide receiver, where he was covered one-on-one by linebacker Thomas Howard. Howard is fast for a linebacker, but he couldn?t keep up with Charles.

Charles ran down the sideline, but Damon Huard?s pass didn?t reach him and was incomplete. A strong throw would have given the Chiefs a touchdown.

?Did I miss a layup with him wide open? No,? Huard said. ?But the perfect throw probably would have completed it.

?He?s a guy we?d like to get the ball to more. When teams blitz us, he usually has to stay in to block. Teams have done a good job of bringing that extra linebacker. We?ve been making the effort to get him the ball. If they?re in a soft zone, you can dump him the ball. We?ve thrown some screens to him, too.?

Print this item

CHIEFS WANT A THIRD-ROUNDER FOR GONZALEZ
Posted by: Wade Wilson - 10-12-2008, 08:06 AM - Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap - No Replies

Posted by Mike Florio on October 11, 2008, 10:41 p.m. EDT

We heard last night of a report out of Kansas City linking Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez to the Giants. We investigated the matter, and confirmed that, indeed, something is up.

Along with the Giants, the Bills, Eagles, and Packers are interested in the veteran Pro Bowler, who recently set the career receiving yardage record at his position.

The Chiefs reportedly want a third-round pick for Gonzalez. The Giants reportedly have offered a sixth-rounder.

Frankly, we?re shocked that King Carl has set his asking price so low. It?s a sign, in our view, of a genuine desire to get the deal done before the trading period expires at 4:00 p.m. EDT on Tuesday.

The fairest approach would be to use a formula that determines the pick based on the performance of Gonzalez and/or of his new team in his new city.

Gonzalez?s base salary for 2008 is only $1 million. In 2009, it spikes to $4 million. In all, he?s signed through 2011.

It makes sense for the Chiefs to get whatever they can for Gonzalez, who at 32 likely won?t be a significant contributor to any resurgence that the Chiefs might ever enjoy. Letting him chase a Super Bowl title with a contending team would also be a nice gesture of appreciation by a franchise for whom Gonzalez has done so much over the years.

[url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/11/chiefs-want-a-third-rounder-for-gonzalez/"]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/11/...r-for-gonzalez/[/url]

Print this item

Tony G to the Eagles?
Posted by: Wade Wilson - 10-10-2008, 08:54 AM - Forum: 65 Toss Power Trap - No Replies

On 810 this morning Frank Boal said that the Eagles called about Tony and Carl hung up on them. Carl is such a dumbass. You have to at least listen to the offer.

Print this item