Home of the Chiefs

Full Version: Cloverfield (Again)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay first we had Cloverfield with a giant monster that was or was not a baby and the live filiming had ya blinded

Next we had Cloverfield lane with John Goodman (Who was awesome).  ANd you really dont know whats going on until the very very end.  This was a better movie then the first.

Noe we have Cloverfield Paradox.  Which started out really good except I keep seeing the one actor as Zemo from Civil War.  BUt this was a good flick and of course we know whats going on before the crew does.  Once they get the idea it drags a little and their is always a bad guy.  And out of the clouds taking a peek at whats up there while our brave survivor is none other then the Cloverfield monster.  At least it explained (Without saying it)  You will have to listen to catch it.  How the Monster got there.  Now have a groovy day
I liked all 3 movies.  

Very different types of movies.
(02-09-2018, 12:05 AM)The_Jonas Wrote: [ -> ]I liked all 3 movies.  

Very different types of movies.

The second one probably holds up the best to repeat viewings.  

I liked the third a lot better than the reviews it's getting, but it's still kind of a mess.  I liked the novelty of it being dumped on Netflix without notice, and enjoyed watching it on my (relatively) new TV and trying to do the home theatre experience with it.  Fun stinger shot at the end.  But on the whole... kind of like an episode of Black Mirror that needed another rewrite to bring it all together.  Chris O'Dowd was funny.
I'm interested in watching the one wth John Goodman.  Will I have to have watched the first one to understand the second?
(02-09-2018, 11:28 AM)DallasChief Wrote: [ -> ]I'm interested in watching the one wth John Goodman.  Will I have to have watched the first one to understand the second?

Nope.  They're completely different movies, and arguably not connected at all.  It's also really good.  Goodman is creepy as hell.
(02-09-2018, 11:38 AM)NOLA Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-09-2018, 11:28 AM)DallasChief Wrote: [ -> ]I'm interested in watching the one wth John Goodman.  Will I have to have watched the first one to understand the second?

Nope.  They're completely different movies, and arguably not connected at all.  It's also really good.  Goodman is creepy as hell.

Yeah. I really liked the 2nd one.

Truth is with both of the "sequels" weren't even made as sequels. They were both movies that after they were making them they decided to slap the colverfield name on them to interest.

They're all connected.  In that they take place in the same world. 

Hell, the 3rd one explains where the monster in the first one came from if you pay attention.

But nothing hinges on it.  The connections are pretty superficial and don't really impact the overall narrative.  Its' hard to even call them sequels.  I'm not sure what to say they are.  They're... related.

Goodman was terrifying.  He's awesome.
(02-09-2018, 12:34 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote: [ -> ]

Truth is with both of the "sequels" weren't even made as sequels. They were both movies that after they were making them they decided to slap the colverfield name on them to interest.

They were MADE the way they were on purpose.

I have no doubt the scripts were all unrelated, but I don't think they just slapped 'cloverfield' on a finished product.  There's easter eggs that connect these films ALL OVER the place.
(02-10-2018, 12:25 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: [ -> ]

They're all connected.  In that they take place in the same world. 

Hell, the 3rd one explains where the monster in the first one came from if you pay attention.

But nothing hinges on it.  The connections are pretty superficial and don't really impact the overall narrative.  Its' hard to even call them sequels.  I'm not sure what to say they are.  They're... related.

Goodman was terrifying.  He's awesome.

This is why I say they're unrelated.  I caught the connections in the third one to the others (I don't think they take place in the same world... I would agree that they take place in the same multiverse, based on the quantum mechanics of the fictional worlds).  But nothing in the narratives of the three films connects with the others.  They're all self-contained stories, and the superfluous Cloverfield connections are either fun Easter eggs or poorly-conceived studio notes, depending on your perspective.

It is true that the Cloverfield stuff was added to this last one post-production and in reshoots by Paramount in an attempt to figure out how to market this film, though.  That's been pretty widely reported.

Also, John Goodman has a reputation for being one of the nicest, classiest dudes in New Orleans.  He hates being approached as a famous person, but apparently he's incredibly kind if you're just out for coffee or something and making small talk.  No Lebowski jokes.  Ever.
(02-10-2018, 12:26 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-09-2018, 12:34 PM)Chi-town_Chief Wrote: [ -> ]

They were MADE the way they were on purpose.

I have no doubt the scripts were all unrelated, but I don't think they just slapped 'cloverfield' on a finished product.  There's easter eggs that connect these films ALL OVER the place.

According to interviews with jj they were well into production of Cloverfield lane before they decided to make it a cloverfield movie. It was originally a script called the cellar. They said they started to notice similarities and decided to lean into it.
Pages: 1 2