Home of the Chiefs

Full Version: Alex Smith
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been listening to satellite radio all day so far.  Cant believe what Im hearing.    I know there is alot of talk from Chiefs fans about Mahomes.  But Im hearing non Chiefs fans several times today about the QB options for Denver and every one of them brought up the possibility of Alex Smith.   I mean Ive heard the Manning talk for awhile but this just hit me.  That could be very bad.  Very very bad
(12-22-2017, 01:21 PM)HG Wrote: [ -> ]I have been listening to satellite radio all day so far.  Cant believe what Im hearing.    I know there is alot of talk from Chiefs fans about Mahomes.  But Im hearing non Chiefs fans several times today about the QB options for Denver and every one of them brought up the possibility of Alex Smith.   I mean Ive heard the Manning talk for awhile but this just hit me.  That could be very bad.  Very very bad

If KC trades Alex I seriously doubt they're sending him to Denver.  

It's not like his contract ends after this season.  It's just that they can free up 17 million because his cap hit is 20 but getting rid of him only results in like 3 million in dead money.  

If Smith ends up in Denver, it's because KC kept smith through the 2018 season and he becomes a free agent.
(12-22-2017, 01:28 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-22-2017, 01:21 PM)HG Wrote: [ -> ]I have been listening to satellite radio all day so far.  Cant believe what Im hearing.    I know there is alot of talk from Chiefs fans about Mahomes.  But Im hearing non Chiefs fans several times today about the QB options for Denver and every one of them brought up the possibility of Alex Smith.   I mean Ive heard the Manning talk for awhile but this just hit me.  That could be very bad.  Very very bad

It's not like his contract ends after this season.  It's just that they can free up 17 million because his cap hit is 20 but getting rid of him only results in like 3 million in dead money.  

If Smith ends up in Denver, it's because KC kept smith through the 2018 season and he becomes a free agent.

Or because they failed to find a trade partner, cut him, and he signed with Denver as a free agent.  On the other hand, Andy traded McNabb to Washington.  I don't really thing anything is off the table at this point, though, even that unholy scenario.

I agree that Alex could considerably help the Broncos. He's miles ahead of all their current QB options, even if he's just a stop gap. I think he's due to fall off a cliff as his legs get older since a lot of his game is built on being able to scramble, but an efficient passer that can sometimes hit Emmanuel Sanders deep may be enough to help that defense win games.

How fucking weird would it be to see Alex hand off to Jamaal in Broncos uniforms? IIRC Jamaal is just on a one year deal, but still, ew.

Speaking of ew, HG, isn't it about time you change your avatar? Sometimes I'm eating while I check the forums, man.

It may be difficult to find a trade partner considering his contract and that IIRC there's supposed to be a lot of good QB talent in this draft.

I know we wouldn't trade him to the Broncos, but there's a possibility the team needs to cut him to have the cap space to fill other needs before the draft. If we have to cut him, Denver is a logical landing spot since despite having a couple down seasons they are still in "win now" mode while the defense is still good.
(12-22-2017, 01:54 PM)asskickingboots Wrote: [ -> ]

It may be difficult to find a trade partner considering his contract and that IIRC there's supposed to be a lot of good QB talent in this draft.

I know we wouldn't trade him to the Broncos, but there's a possibility the team needs to cut him to have the cap space to fill other needs before the draft. If we have to cut him, Denver is a logical landing spot since despite having a couple down seasons they are still in "win now" mode while the defense is still good.

If Alex finishes strong KC will NOT have trouble finding a trading partner for him.  There are QB desperate teams, and Alex's value has never been higher than it is now.  Teams with failing high QB picks (like the jags) will be looking for a vet.  They might get more than they paid SF for him.

I would hope that KC would rather trade him to Denver and get something than cut him and watch him sign with Denver and get nothing.
(12-22-2017, 01:38 PM)NOLA Wrote: [ -> ]

Or because they failed to find a trade partner, cut him, and he signed with Denver as a free agent.  On the other hand, Andy traded McNabb to Washington.  I don't really thing anything is off the table at this point, though, even that unholy scenario.

KC would be stupid to do that.  

I don't see it as a likely scenario.
(12-22-2017, 02:00 PM)NOLA Wrote: [ -> ]

I would hope that KC would rather trade him to Denver and get something than cut him and watch him sign with Denver and get nothing.

KC would more than likely get a 3rd if they need to cut him from a compensation pick. Getting a slightly lesser pick would be better than helping to complete a division rival's roster.
(12-22-2017, 01:59 PM)The_Jonas Wrote: [ -> ]

If Alex finishes strong KC will NOT have trouble finding a trading partner for him.  There are QB desperate teams, and Alex's value has never been higher than it is now.  Teams with failing high QB picks (like the jags) will be looking for a vet.  They might get more than they paid SF for him.

That is true. I still worry that they might have trouble unloading him before the draft, and KC will likely need that money before then. But if he finishes strong I'm sure someone would be willing to take him.

I mean, if Broncos fans are openly entertaining the idea of getting Smith, one of the few groups of people more conditioned to trash the guy than our fanbase, then you know he's got some value.
Pages: 1 2